Finishing off interior foundation basement walls??

Just so you know i`m training to be a home inspector and haven`t read anything on this subject topic as yet.But in my work history these are things I`ve spotted over the years.Please

feel free to comment on each scenario.Some are obviously simple and some are tricky!

Here are some basement foundation wall systems i`ve encountered.How would a home inspector write these up,thats assuming he can determine how they were built....and all things being equal.[i know that you just do visual inspections so lets just assume there is a section without drywall.]I`m in Canada,so its a northern climatic region.

[1]cement wall/stud wall & fiberglass insulation/vapour barrier/ drywall

[2]cement wall/vapour barrier/stud wall & fiberglass insulation/ drywall

[3]cement wall/water sealer/stud wall & fiberglass insulation/ vapour barrier/drywall

[4]cement wall/water sealer-glue/rigid board insulation & strapping/drywall

[5]cement wall/water sealer-glue/rigid board insulation & strapping/vapour barrier/drywall

[6]The building science engineers also have a wall design and they don`t require a vapour barrier.I couldn`t remember the cross section of that system.

Note...Since I found out about the building science engineers not using a vapour barrier its made me rethink

things.

Your Truly

Michael

PS:This is my first post so I hope its not a dumb one!I also hope my

descriptions are understandable.

bad/mold/mush/mushrooms

depends what the vapor barrier is and if it has a place to drain condensate

[3]cement wall/water sealer/stud wall & fiberglass insulation/ vapour barrier/drywall

see number 1

not bad..eliminates a dew point surface. Should be polyisocyanurate or polyurethane foam

[5]cement wall/water sealer-glue/rigid board insulation & strapping/vapour barrier/drywall

as a rule double vapor barriers trap water in an assembly

The type of foam is critical. It's not adequate to simply say "rigid foam board".

There's polyisocyanurate, polyurethane, and expanded polystyrene. Each one has a specific use. I don't think you want polyisocyanurate below grade on a bsmt. wall; you want a little breathability to the interior.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

bad/mold/mush/mushrooms

depends what the vapor barrier is and if it has a place to drain condensate

see number 1

not bad..eliminates a dew point surface. Should be polyisocyanurate or polyurethane foam

as a rule double vapor barriers trap water in an assembly

Chad...Thanks for the quick response!

[1]This is the most common method i`ve seen in carpentry books

and that i`ve found in renovations.I know in renovations i always find wet spots ,rotting wood in that arrangement.

[2]The vapour barrier is just the normal,generic 6mil plastic

[5] I found this system on a home inspection page as the prefered method.But i questioned the double vapour barrier thing myself,thats why i threw it in.

But I worked for a construction company and the owner framed his first floor with a vapour barrier on both sides of the wall.That was against all our negative comments about it.I have no idea how it held up....but I would assume it would have rotted out.

[6]I was hoping to hear some comments on the building science engineer design without a vapour barrier.From what i can remember they leave an air space / gap then frame the wall away from the concrete wall.

[7]Chad.......Here is a hypothetical scenario...what if you did [1] without the vapour barrier.What problems would you think would arise from this method.

[8]Chad......Here is another scenario...on the first floor wall you have vinyl sidding,tyvex or roofing paper,foam insulation,then partical board/OSB .Now combined with the interior vapour barrier wouldn`t this also be a double vapour barrier.The permability would be greatly reduced.Any comments?

Yours Truly

Michael