ASHI state rankings -- surprises here?

AHI in AR

I take this with a grain of salt since I don't know how things are actually enforced in each state. But here's a quote from the article:

"Pennsylvania, for example, was ranked fifth on ASHI's 2005 list but dropped dramatically in 2006 and 2007 because the state's "inspector experience" requirement as stated was not enforceable. California has been ranked dead last for two years because several of its provisions -- including its "prohibited acts" provision, which outlines an inspector's code of ethics -- cannot be enforced."

It would appear that they DO take enforcement into account...at least whether it is legal to enforce any given requirements. I would think it would be hard to quantify the actual enforcement effectiveness of those that are truly enforced.

Bottom line, I don't think you can necessarily draw any assumptions about the quality (or lack thereof) of an inspection performed in a state based on this info. I didn't intend to imply that. I threw this out there for discussion. For instance, I wonder how the Cali inspectors feel about their state regs and the fact that some of them are unenforceable. Do they still try to follow them anyway?

Yes, take it with a grain of salt. As for CA, they really do not have a "Home Inspector" license law. They have something like a Trade Practice Law that covers many things.

Also keep in mind that this is put together by a committee of individuals who develop the criteria for the rankings.

I do not agree with many of the rankings on the list. One good example is AZ, they are #3 and have no continuing education requirement.[:-dunce]

I also do not necessarily agree with the total ranking, but am glad an organization can, and will, issue a statement of their opinion.

I know several regulars on this site that have worked for months and years on regulation in their respective states and some have worked nationally. It is a truly huge undertaking and task. At this time I believe I have read nearly 100% of all state regulation(s) and have seen none I like.

But that is just me.