What will Bill Gates do in retirement?

Inspectorjoe

I didn't watch the video.

Why would I care? They guy makes more in one minute off of interest on his assets than myself or my entire family will make in the rest of our lifetimes.

I don't begrudge him for being brilliant and making a fortune; I'm just not really interested in what obscenely rich folk do with their spare time.

If he wants to do something productive, he can set up a corporation in South America and recruit every single farmer and tribesman living in the rain forests and give them good paying jobs as game wardens and foresters, build them towns and homes, and educate their children, so they'll be interested in preserving that ecosource instead of cutting it down and plowing it under in order to try and scrape out a living at pauper's wages.

We all carp about global warning but governments claim they can't afford to do much about it. This guy has enough wealth that he, and others like him, could turn all of these folks slashing and burning into happy employees, reduce the destruction, and actually make an impact on it.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

... They guy makes more in one minute off of interest on his assets than myself or my entire family will make in the rest of our lifetimes. ...

OT - OF!!! M.

Mike,

You're in his neck of the woods ... let him build a new house and we will all recommend you get the inspection call. [;)]

Now that would be quite a gig!! [:-slaphap

When I was living in Colorado (Denver) years ago I was working on a project with AT&T Labs and we were having special Colorado stone cut for a very special floor on the executive level of an office building that a (very proud of himself) VP wanted. I went tooth/toe-nail with the architect more times than I can count. I finally won when the jackhammers cut through the post-tension cables in the pre-stressed concrete beams that made up each floor. They were trying to "thin out" the top coating of the beams to allow the "special stone" to be set without changing elevation as you got off the elevators to enter the VP's area.

When that 'event' hit ... I called the architect and the VP and told them both to get their "as$'s" up to the quarry and hand-pick the tiles to not exceed "my prescribed" depth to keep the darn beams from crashing in.

Anyway .. it was an adventure and that architect and I never again worked with one another ... THANK GOODNESS!

All that being said ... the quarry in Colorado we were working with was also working on some special stone for Bill's new house (under construction at the time) and they had shipped several stone pieces for various locations that just didn't work or plans changed and they didn't notify the quarry or ... and on it went. The quarry guy was having a helluva time with the project from his portion ... I could only imagine trying to PM the whole thing. [:-bigeyes

Originally posted by Nolan Kienitz

Originally posted by hausdok

... They guy makes more in one minute off of interest on his assets than myself or my entire family will make in the rest of our lifetimes. ...

OT - OF!!! M.

Mike,

You're in his neck of the woods ... let him build a new house and we will all recommend you get the inspection call. [;)]

Now that would be quite a gig!! [:-slaphap

Yeah,

When I first got into this gig his house was under construction. I told a bunch of folks that I'd love to get the inspection. That's when a couple of folks said to me, "What, are you NUTS! You're a rookie at this. The guy can buy a lawyer with what he carries around in his pocket. Do you really want to take a chance that on such a huge and complicated house you miss something and it pisses him off?"

Even as dense as I am sometimes, I was able to see where that probably wouldn't have been the smartest thing for me to do. Now, if he want's to build another one, I'm not worried about it.

OT - OF!!!

M.