Gas water heater/oil fired furnace sharing flue

Bill Kibbel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CSST has the yellow jacket. Some connectors also have a yellow jacket, but I've never seen one in sizes as large as the diameter shown there.

It's obviously a supply pipe coming through the rim and it supplies gas to that down-pipe. Somewhere out of sight of that picture, that downpipe connects to the water heater and the boilder/furnace and there may or may not be a flexible connector at the end of that downpipe between the piple and the appliance.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Here is a picture of a flexible connector with a yellow jacket. I called this one out on a job I did. Can I assume that the CSST has more smooth surface? At least thats how it appears in pictures I just searched for.

Image Insert:

200811518333_HPIM0267.jpg

117.5 KB

AS for the rule of 1&1/2 foot of "vent connector" per inch of diameter, I read that suggestion in "The Principles of Home Inspection" published by Dearborn

Originally posted by AHI

Here is a picture of a flexible connector with a yellow jacket. I called this one out on a job I did. Can I assume that the CSST has more smooth surface? At least thats how it appears in pictures I just searched for.

Image Insert:

200811518333_HPIM0267.jpg

117.5 KB

Yeah, I've seen connectors like that. See the way the corrugated section stops short of the fitting? CSST goes right up into the fitting.
AS for the rule of 1&1/2 foot of "vent connector" per inch of diameter, I read that suggestion in "The Principles of Home Inspection" published by Dearborn
Well, there's the problem right there; the dearborn stuff is chock full of home inspector folklore and outright innacurate information. It's not the kind of text that a newbie home inspector wants to rely on without verything what he or she reads with some other texts.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Sure, the rule for an uninsulated connector is < 75% of the vertical vent

Just 'cuz a connector meets that rule, doesn't mean it's not too long. I've found plenty that allow too much cooling to either establish and maintain a draft or are creating major condensation.

200811520847_P3060003.jpg

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Sure, the rule for an uninsulated connector is < 75% of the vertical vent

Just 'cuz a connector meets that rule, doesn't mean it's not too long. I've found plenty that allow too much cooling to either establish and maintain a draft or are creating major condensation.

200811520847_P3060003.jpg

I'm not disagreeing. I write vents for damage caused by excessive condensation all the time - almost daily. If I were in your area, had that basement, and it were unheated and had a single-walled pipe, I probably would write it up for that very reason.

OT - OF!!!

M.

1. Can a flexible connector be attached directly to the CSST to complete the connection to an appliance?

If the CSST ends in a listed termination outlet, is properly supported at the connection, and an appliance shut-off valve is installed, then a flexible connector can be used between it and the appliance.

2. Can CSST be directly attached to an appliance without using a flexible connector?

CSST can be directly connected to the appliance shut-off valve on a fixed appliance. For movable appliances, a flex connector between the CSST and the appliance is required.

Install instructions for TracPipe are available here: http://www.omegaflex.com/trac/downloads.asp

CSST has the yellow jacket. Some connectors also have a yellow jacket, but I've never seen one in sizes as large as the diameter shown there.

It's obviously a supply pipe coming through the rim and it supplies gas to that down-pipe. Somewhere out of sight of that picture, that downpipe connects to the water heater and the boilder/furnace and there may or may not be a flexible connector at the end of that downpipe between the piple and the appliance.

OT - OF!!!

M.

It was CSST and feeds a gas stove in the kitchen above this area. Does this type of installation for CSST require a sleeve (like a short peice of PVC pipe) where the CSST passes through the floor?

I call this out all of the time for CSST feeding gas fireplaces. You check out the CSST right where it passes through the metal opening and often it is burred. Sometimes I find leaks here too.

Originally posted by msteger

Does this type of installation for CSST require a sleeve (like a short peice of PVC pipe) where the CSST passes through the floor?

I call this out all of the time for CSST feeding gas fireplaces. You check out the CSST right where it passes through the metal opening and often it is burred. Sometimes I find leaks here too.

Simple answer, no.

OT - OF!!!

M.

One of the best classes I had during the past couple of years was the Gastite presentation. If you can get to one or your local association can book one, then do it!

Info on Gastite is often wrong if not from the company. You could fill this page with stuff that has been written. For instance, can you buy the stuff at the local big box?

Go to their website and read. Read everything you can on all CSST.

Originally posted by msteger

Does this type of installation for CSST require a sleeve (like a short peice of PVC pipe) where the CSST passes through the floor?

Simple answer, no.

OT - OF!!!

M.

So, was AHI confusing the CSST with appliance connector material? (see top of this page)

CSST doesn't need a piece of PVC pipe (for example) where it passes through a floor or wall, but a plastic appliance connector does? I see the plumbing code requires flexible tubing to be protected from mechanical damage, such as where it passes through something.

msteger, you mentioned "plastic appliance connector". As far as gas appliance connectors are concerned I am not aware that any of them are made of plastic. If some of them are, can someone concur?

Below I posted a link to gas appliance flexible connectors and safety concerns related to them. To my knowledge none of these flexible connectors should pass through a wall, floor, cabinet etc...under any circumstances, even if sleeved. If I'm wrong here too, somebody please correct me.

http://www.bge.com/portal/site/bge/menu ... 0d66166a0/

Hi,

He misspoke. I'm sure that he meant to say plastic-coated connectors. You are correct, a "connector" - a short flexible pipe used between the end of the primary fuel line and the appliance must not pass through a wall, floor, etc., but don't confuse CSST with a connector. The rules for CSST are different despite their similarities to connectors.

You guys would probably not sleep well if you were in Seoul, Korea. The entire city is plumbed with plastic gas line that's buried about 18 inches below grade. I watched them installing the stuff back in 1993. Most homeowners use a length of soft rubber hose clamped onto a fitting like you'd see with an an air compressor to bring the gas from the meter into their homes for the water heater or hydronic boiler for the floor heat. In my brother-in-laws place it comes through a hole drilled through a door jamb, snakes across the wall and then goes along the backsplash at the kitchen counter before dropping behind the stove. It was identical to the rubber fuel line hose one can purchase in an auto parts store.

That's in Korea which is technologically pretty good. I was reading about how in China folks were stealing natural gas from leaking pipes at refineries by using large plastic blivets made from some kind of plastic bag material and would ride on down the street with them on the back of a bicycle and then plumb them to their houses with a length of hose, a clamp, and a screwdriver.

OT - OF!!!

M.

CSST, being listed, can penetrate walls, floors and ceilings as provided in the listing. This usually requires strike protection within 6-8 inches of a fixed point such as where it exits a stud plate. As long as the hose can flop, it is much more resistant to penetration.

CSST is listed to LC-1

Flexible appliance connectors are listed to ANSI Z21.24

HTH,

Hearthman

Hi,

He misspoke. I'm sure that he meant to say plastic-coated connectors. You are correct, a "connector" - a short flexible pipe used between the end of the primary fuel line and the appliance must not pass through a wall, floor, etc., but don't confuse CSST with a connector. The rules for CSST are different despite their similarities to connectors.

You guys would probably not sleep well if you were in Seoul, Korea. The entire city is plumbed with plastic gas line that's buried about 18 inches below grade. I watched them installing the stuff back in 1993. Most homeowners use a length of soft rubber hose clamped onto a fitting like you'd see with an an air compressor to bring the gas from the meter into their homes for the water heater or hydronic boiler for the floor heat. In my brother-in-laws place it comes through a hole drilled through a door jamb, snakes across the wall and then goes along the backsplash at the kitchen counter before dropping behind the stove. It was identical to the rubber fuel line hose one can purchase in an auto parts store.

That's in Korea which is technologically pretty good. I was reading about how in China folks were stealing natural gas from leaking pipes at refineries by using large plastic blivets made from some kind of plastic bag material and would ride on down the street with them on the back of a bicycle and then plumb them to their houses with a length of hose, a clamp, and a screwdriver.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yes, I mis-spoke. Sorry for the confusion.

• 3 years later...

What year is that suppose to be in the IRC? There is no 2426.5.6.2 in the 2003 or 2006

This might be it Phillip:

G2427.5.6.2 (503.5.7.2) Liquid fuel-burning appliances.

Where one chimney flue serves gas appliances and liquid fuel-burning appliances, the appliances shall be connected through separate openings or shall be connected through a single opening where joined by a suitable fitting located as close as practical to the chimney. Where two or more openings are provided into one chimney flue, they shall be at different levels. Where the appliances are automatically controlled, they shall be equipped with safety shutoff devices.

Marc