Extend-N-Climb Telescoping Ladder

Mark P

Maintenance Tip and Great Customer Service

I bought an Extend-n-Climb telescoping ladder in the Spring. It works wonderfully, especially for attic scuttle holes in closets or low roof lines. Easy to extend and simple to collapse and store. That was until I used it in the rain and then left it in my van without drying if off. After this it was extremely difficult to use, and became a two person job to collapse it because one person has to hold in the latches while the other pushes down. I called the manufacture and they recommended I use Pledge Lemon Wipes to clean it. This did help considerable, but some of the sections were still tough to move. A 2nd call to the company and they are sending me a brand new ladder, without me even asking for it. Now how is that for Outstanding Customer Service.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by RickSab

That is good to hear. I'm considering one of those. They have a 14' version out and its rated 300.

Rick Sabatino

Really? The only reason I never bought one of those things is that they're a tad short and the one's I've tried flexed like rubber when I walked up them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I'll bet even the 300 lb one flexes, but that's all they do. I've grown to trust mine as much as any other ladder. I have yet to hear of one failing under use. Has anyone here heard of such a case? [?]

Once in a while I'll get an old house in town that has one attic access; in the top of a closet about 20 inches deep, 10 -12 feet straight up. Nothing else will work.

Brian G.

Sold on Extendables [:-thumbu]

Originally posted by Brian G

I'll bet even the 300 lb one flexes, but that's all they do. I've grown to trust mine as much as any other ladder. I have yet to hear of one failing under use. Has anyone here heard of such a case? [?]

Once in a while I'll get an old house in town that has one attic access; in the top of a closet about 20 inches deep, 10 -12 feet straight up. Nothing else will work.

Brian G.

I'm not really concerned that it will fail. It's more of a vanity issue; I'm afraid that people will panic when they see the thing bow under my weight.

I don't wear horizontal stripes either . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

We have had 20+ of the different sizes. Four were defective out of the box and immediately replaced by distributor. We kept the old ones for hunting blinds. They have changed quite alot over the years. All used to be made in Sweden and now mostly China.

We break them usually in cold weather. The rung dogs snap when it is really cold. I have had them fail twice and both times it was my own fault - didn't fully extend and once extended from top first!

First one cost me $900 during an ASHI meeting in Columbus Ohio - I think 1990. Now we just pick them up at Menards for $169.00. We always silicone caulk the rubber bumpers on right out of the box.

At 225lbs, Jason makes them look like a rubber band in the wind!

If you pull the top rung first it is ok, if you are going to extend it all the way. If you need only 7'6" of ladder, then start at bottom. The mechanism that allows you to telescope it activates three sets of dogs at one time. You start the process by pulling the bottom dogs that lets the second rung slide and releases the third rung that will slide only when the second rung is fully resting on the first rung.

Can you even imagine the thought process for that operation?!!

I bought a Telesteps first, at a cost of about $300. It failed shortly after the warranty was up. I didn't bother trying to get it fixed. I then bought a knockoff, the Xtend N Climb, at about half the price. In my opinion, it works better.

Regardless of what the weight ratings are you should know that both flex a lot. You have to get used to it, but I wouldn't be comfy on either one if I carried a lot more than the 155 pounds that I do.

When I bought mine the Extend-N-Climb was considerably less. I've had it for about three years now, with no problems. I wander between 205 and 215, so the new 300 lb rated 15 1/2 footer is of great interest. I'm not afraid of the one I have though. I've accidentally climbed it with one step not properly locked out a few times, and it doesn't seem to matter.

You gotta watch your hand positions while collapsing one back down though. They'll pinch the crap out of you if you're careless.

Brian G.

We Call That "Education" [:-bigmout

I've had my Xtend-Climb for over 5-years and it has worked well. Started to have 'sticky sections' for opening/closing in the past year.

Spent time cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning and using the Pledge wipes (lemon of course) and even some silicone spray on towel when cleaning. Sticky sections loosen up, but stick again in a few weeks.

Been in contact with vendor and it appears I'll be getting an upgraded replacement.

BTW - The product has worked very well for me. I hover ('err weigh in) at around 195#.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Jim Katen

If I buy one of these things, will I be able to use it in the rain every day or will that cause it to get sticky?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

No.

If it happens to be raining while outside with it, I just wipe the tubes down before releasing them.

Haven't had a problem in 2 years.

I don't know of any other ladder that would have let me get to this scuttle this week. I had 3/4" purchase on the edge of the opening. I made sure the ladder wasn't going to sink as I climbed!

Image Insert:

200843016563_DSC02059.jpg

17.22 KB

P.S. Jim, make sure you go for the 1A rated version -- good up to 300 #'s.

No. . . I'm not saying you're fat

Originally posted by Brian G

Brian G.

I sit here typing with a cast on my shattered right ankle. Type 1A extend and climb now retired. The catches failed. I felt one side fail and a moment later the other side gave.

Originally posted by charlieb

I sit here typing with a cast on my shattered right ankle. Type 1A extend and climb now retired. The catches failed. I felt one side fail and a moment later the other side gave.

Sounds nasty. I've been lucky; never had a broken bone.

Don't blame the ladder Charlie. It's all those doughnuts and pastries that commit suicide in your mouth. [:P]

Brian G.

Or Maybe It Was the Ladder [:-wiltel]

Ouch, that's gotta smart. I'm sorry to hear about your fall.

Will Extend & Climb be contributing to your medical bills?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I carry two ladders, an LG 17 and knock off LG that goes about 11-12 feet. Almost every attic can be reached with the knock-off.

I've never ran into an attic scuttle than one or the other can't get me into, even the one that Randy posted. Even in those little closets and little scuttle holes in old houses.

Image Insert:

20085153039_DSC03032.jpg

595.92 KB

The tele-steps just don't make me feel comfortable with the sway in them, kinda llike walking on a rope bridge.

I've been lucky; never had a broken bone.

Ouch. I never had a broken bone either, until two months ago. Then I broke seven bones in four fingers on my left hand. The bones are now healed but I have several months of therapy ahead to transform my hand from a claw back to a working hand. I'm still looking forward to the day when it doesn't hurt all of the time. Still, I'm lucky to have all my fingers and I'm thankful for that.

When I resume inspecting, I'm going to be re-thinking the risks I take when climbing ladders and I will be making some changes in my equipment and procedures to improve safety.

Broken bones, and not being able to work, both suck. Hang in there. I hope your recovery goes well.

Running off to OT appointment as I finish typing this....

Brandon