Extend-N-Climb Telescoping Ladder

Mark P

The pain has been ok so thanks all. I hired a helper and have not missed a lick. Oddly, I was scheduled to testify in a case that afternoon. Both attys announced they handled product liability. I have medical insurance and the injury is not life changing so......I paid the deductable and my net profit for the summer will be reduced by the cost of my helper. I still climb the little giant and attic stairs so I still serve my clients. When I'm better I'll go back to walking roof but will limit the pitch more than I have in the past. The one drawback is our attics. I can not walk the ceiling joist. No catwalks here. I use crutches to traverse the deck to the mechanicals and send the helper on the joist to take video of the areas I want to see. I use a laser pointer to direct him.

I have not torn the ladder apart to see what failed. Like many I was apprehensive about the ladder. (Brian I upgraded from the 225 version even though I was under the limit. And yes I still perform early am raids on the donut store.) The model I have has red and green markers to confirm the catches engage. All the dots were green. One moment I had one foot on the ladder and the other was lifted to step on the roof. The next moment I was looking at blue sky. When I tried to stand the ankle felt like gravel. So I crawled to the truck and drove to the hospital.

I am a very cautious ladder user. I am far more comfortable on a wet steep roof than I am on most ladders.

Bill, your topic is very important and can be lots of fun to present, while still getting the message across! Good Luck, you could save someone from serious injury.

Get well Charlie - if it were me I'd be asking Randy N* to send me a little present or flowers or gift card to Lowes.

*or everyone else

Gee,

I'm sorry to hear that, Charlie. I know how much of a hassle painful ankles can be. A couple of years ago, I rolled one of mine when I stepped off a curb and I think I fractured that little outside bone on my leg that connects to my upper leg, 'cuz I'd done exactly the same on the same leg years before in the military.

I didn't bother to get it x-ray'd, I just put on the old lace-up ankle brace the army had supplied me with. Then, about 3-4 weeks later I did exactly the same thing with the other leg. Crap! For about six months I walked around with a lace-up brace on both ankles. I looked like one of those kids with the heavy corrective shoes and it made roof walking painful and scary.

Get well, Buddy.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That was my biggest fear, there just not sturdy enough for me. So I dug deep into my pockets and paid $475 on ebay for a Little Giant 26. Best purchase I've made in along time! Yea, it's expensive and it's heavy (53 lbs) but when I'm twenty feet off the ground, I dont seem to care about any of that...and it fits into my SUV. I also keep a smaller version that I use inside houses for everything else. It's alot of money for ladders, but like everybody else whose reading this, I use them everyday!

Originally posted by charlieb

The model I have has red and green markers to confirm the catches engage.

I haven't seen one of those. Who makes it?

I figured the doughnuts were still easy prey, even for a half-crippled Charlie.

Brian G.

Doughnuts Run Soooooo Slow [:P]

Xtend and Climb 12.5ft Telescoping Extension Ladder

Part# 780

Type IA, 300 lb rated. Extends from 3ft to 12.5ft. Engineered to meet or exceed rigid industrial standards. Lightweight, easy to carry. Angled thumb release mechanism to ensure proper hand position. No pinch closure system. Non-slip end caps. Integrated carry handle. Heavy-duty closure strap.

Now you've gone and done it. I'll just have to get a maple donut on the way out in the am

Image Insert:

20085116356_3a3c_1_b.jpg

9.77 KB

• 3 weeks later...

I have not torn the ladder apart to see what failed. Like many I was apprehensive about the ladder. When I tried to stand the ankle felt like gravel. So I crawled to the truck and drove to the hospital.

Charlie,

No attorney here, but I'd leave the ladder as is until you decide if further action/litigation is required...been there done that, halo, screws, pins, still 1/2" shorter on the shattered left limb and 20 some odd years later wish the lawyers and I'd held out for more.

The only good that came of mine, was reimbursed lost income, a Harley and I can tell you when the weather is going to change long before the 5 o'clock news AM or PM, I also know how many days in advance.

Hope all who are in the process of reconstruction heal soon and heal well.

all others...work safe

Just so folks will know: Consumer Reports rated Little Giant, Telesteps and XTend and Climb as "unacceptable."

To give context: They were worried about the ladders crushing hands and fingers, losing control of heavy ladders such as the Little Giant, and ladder feet sliding. More homeowner than HI worries, but still noteworthy.

Not much of a ladder guy myself,

WJ

Originally posted by BADAIR

I have not torn the ladder apart to see what failed. Like many I was apprehensive about the ladder. When I tried to stand the ankle felt like gravel. So I crawled to the truck and drove to the hospital.

Charlie,

No attorney here, but I'd leave the ladder as is until you decide if further action/litigation is required...been there done that, halo, screws, pins, still 1/2" shorter on the shattered left limb and 20 some odd years later wish the lawyers and I'd held out for more.

The only good that came of mine, was reimbursed lost income, a Harley and I can tell you when the weather is going to change long before the 5 o'clock news AM or PM, I also know how many days in advance.

Hope all who are in the process of reconstruction heal soon and heal well.

all others...work safe

The ladder is safely stored. It's for future use if needed. I've battled Ostio arthritis for a number of years so I'm with you on the weather.

I got out of the cast on Monday. My calf looks like an old woman's tricep.

Care to purchase a used ladder Walter?

Care to purchase a used ladder Walter?

No thanks. Couple years back, I put away ladders like I put away my 1970s motorcycle. That is, I looked down, realized how busted up I'd be if I fell, and got rid of the worrisome thing.

And, I'm just not a climber. Twenty years of HI work, and I can remember mounting only one pitched roof. Around here, roofs are either easily visible from the ground (50s-60s ranchers) or so high and steep (McMansions) that only crazy people get on them. An inspecting unit can get a view of McMansion roofs via upstairs windows, though.

Not risking the skeleton for a lousy $500 - $600,

WJid="blue">

Yea, I know how you feel or rather I feel like you think. Rolling around a site with one leg on a three wheeled cart has changed my "view" of things.

Funny thing, no complaints or roof claims since I gained this new view of things.

Yes. It's kinda like "Deal or No Deal." I figure I'd be a damnfool if I sold my intact skeleton -- which I'm still using -- for $500.00.

If somebody wants me to look at a roof from above, well, that person's going to have to rent a bucket truck and a skilled operator.

Want me in an attic? Fine with me. Build a permanent stair. I'll go.

WJid="blue">

Recent occurrence:

One of the locks just broke on my Xtend-n-climb. The tolerances are so tight on the telescoping portions that even with the broken latch, the affected section didn't slide down - it just got bound and didn't go anywhere. Both locks would have to fail simultaneously for the thing to drop down entirely.

And no, the latch didn't fail as I was walking on it. I must not of had it fully engaged and as I placed my weight on it, it crunched and damaged the mechanism beyond repair - I guess?

Can't be fixed. The supplier had to send me a whole new ladder. I upgraded to the 15.5 footer. Work nicer but it still cost me $125.

Maybe the scrap yard will give me $125 for the aluminum in the ladder. . .

• 2 months later...

I suppose I could have worded that better. I was just referring to the latches letting go. Any ladder can fail, tip over, or whatever, and most of the time its the user's fault having not set it up properly or using a damaged ladder.

I don't know about the extend and climbs but the telesteps which is supposed to be the original has worked very well for me.