Solar Powered AC/Heat/Sewage Treatment

hausdok

• 1 year later...

It's an absorber. Absorbers are very popular in hospitals. Hospitals run steam boilers for heating as well as numerous medical devices such as sterilization chambers. The boilers need to run year 'round. In that type of setting it makes good sense for cooling of this style. The problem with the older technology is that they were prone to crystallization and they were real maintenance hogs.

I read over this web site http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/te ... pchill.asp

and they have a pretty good explanation of the system.

It was fashion years back to have natural gas absorbers as well. They went the way of T-Rex. Not sure I'd buy into it as of yet.

One of the other fads is taking Methane gas, from a land fill, and turning it into a heating medium. A city around here is using the technology to heat one of it city service buildings. It is the most vile, filthy energy sources out there. It needs elaborate filtration systems and water separators. It was pure hell for the HVAC equipment.

I'm all for alternative energy sources (if for nothing more than to break the petroleum addiction) but everything in its time and place.

It's an absorber. Absorbers are very popular in hospitals. Hospitals run steam boilers for heating as well as numerous medical devices such as sterilization chambers. The boilers need to run year 'round. In that type of setting it makes good sense for cooling of this style. The problem with the older technology is that they were prone to crystallization and they were real maintenance hogs.

I read over this web site http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/te ... pchill.asp

and they have a pretty good explanation of the system.

It was fashion years back to have natural gas absorbers as well. They went the way of T-Rex. Not sure I'd buy into it as of yet.

One of the other fads is taking Methane gas, from a land fill, and turning it into a heating medium. A city around here is using the technology to heat one of it city service buildings. It is the most vile, filthy energy sources out there. It needs elaborate filtration systems and water separators. It was pure hell for the HVAC equipment.

I'm all for alternative energy sources (if for nothing more than to break the petroleum addiction) but everything in its time and place.

'83 to '86 I was stationed in Bremerhaven in NJ. Just off the autobahn, about 3 miles toward Garlstedt from Bremerhaven is a huge collection processor for garbage. The thing looks like an oil refinery and it burns trash to produce electricity and the only thing coming off those stacks is steam. I don't know how they do it, but the Germans got that trash recycling into electricity down pat.

OT - OF!!!

Mike

Anyone out there understand why Ezra's computer thingy won't display that video?

I had similar problems viewing videos, until my Daughter pointed out that my Etch-A-Sketch was seriously outdated and I needed to enter the real world.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

"One of the other fads is taking Methane gas, from a land fill, and turning it into a heating medium."

I think utilizing methane is brilliant, but it should be for power production at it's source.

There is a landfill not far from here that has built a power plant on site that is producing power for around 6000 homes. That doesn't sound like much, but it is a small facility in a rural community, not the mega landfills one finds near more urban areas.

There is also a large dairy farm nearby that is in the process of installing a methalene digester to process his liquid manure. He estimates that the project will generate more power than he can use (he currently consumes about $250,000 per year of electricity), and generate all the bedding material he needs (about another $100k per year). The only waste product this system will generate is enough 120 degree water to heat all of his buildings, if only there was a way to distribute it over the several thousand acres occupied by his farm.

There was also a recent story (I can't remember where I saw it) about pilot projects to produce power from our own methane gas scavenged from sewage treatment plants.

Methane is the ultimate renewable energy source.[:I] Excuse me!

Tom