1950's Wiring

randynavarro

In our parts, three-wire grounded cable started being used consistently in the mid to late 50's. I would think this to be fairly common across the country?

I can see the three-wire cable in the main panel, yet there are only two-slot receptacles in the walls.

It's my understanding that the ground wire was used to ground/bond the metal j-boxes but obviously not the outlet as there was no third terminal.

Is this true?

And secondly; is upgrading as easy as using a grounding jumper from the metal box to a new three-slot outlet?

It's my understanding that the ground wire was used to ground/bond the metal j-boxes but obviously not the outlet as there was no third terminal.

Is this true?

Usually, but you can confirm with a meter.

...is upgrading as easy as using a grounding jumper from the metal box to a new three-slot outlet?
There are also "self-grounding" outlets that can be installed for the same result.

Randy.. its not too common here until into the 1960s. Being here in PA, where we didn't have statewide building codes until 2004, I see all sorts of weird things. I do a lot of rural homes, so virtually no building codes ever until a few years ago. Lots of ungrounded 3 wire receptacles, etc.

Originally posted by paul burrell

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Three-wire came along in the mid- late-60s here in assbackwards Nashville. I call it post-Johnson wiring. As in LBJ.

WJ

Excuse me WJ but we say bassackwards down here in Ga. Just a little trivia.[}:)]

Walter is just probably keeping it "alphabetically" in sequence. :)