Visibility

I don't mess with loose fill. In fact, I often write frequently on reports that "other workmen have been up there and trampled the insulation -- it needs re-lofting" (which in my experience, isn't easy to do unless it's re-blown).

I used to plow through but never figured a way to loft the loose fill stuff good enough.

And I rarely exclude an attic space. I'm real good at playing like a monkey and dancing on the wood members with minimal disturbance to the insulation.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

My litany: Cover you client's ass and yours will be covered automatically.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What about the case of an addition, you enter the attic of the original house and you traverse down the thermal canyon til it ends before you can get to the addition opening.

In the past I would have just thought to tell the client basically that, but in keeping with adequate warning (I mean whats the difference between this and not recommending a sewerscope) should an HI provide a warning?

It's about risk assessment. Is there really no access to the addition attic? If not, how did they insulate it? I'd sure want to have a look in there.

On the other hand, in about 90 percent of those cases, there's a little peep hole that allows me to see the addition attic. I'm usually quite comfortable with evaluating it through the peep hole. At least no one's ever complained that I've missed anything in one of those.

The insulation in the attic is undisturbed; as a result, I did not enter the attic. If you want the attic spaces inspected, you'll have to get permission from the seller, have a path thru the insulation provided down to the framing and thru the spaces you want inspected, and then after the inspection hire an insulation company to restore the insulation.

I prefer not to disturb the insulation, but I make a judgement call each time. If my spidey sense starts to tingle, I disturb the insulation -- why live life if you can't live it dangerously? While it's probably not possible to completely re-loft blown-in insulation, you can totally disguise the fact that you walked on it by using a broomstick or a ski pole. Just sweep it back & forth a few inches below the surface of the insulation and your tracks will completely dissappear.

Who knows? Maybe the addition framing or insulation is messed up. Maybe there is a roof leak or inadequate ventilation and the roof decking covered in mold.

Chris, Oregon

Listen to your spidey sense.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I stay on the joists / trusses. Just use my foot to sweep insulation until I can see I'm stepping on a joist / truss rather than a can light. I make a little effort to kinda sweep it back in position.

This was at the far end of an "L" shaped attic from the hatch. A bit of a bear to get there but worth it to me!

http://b4uclose.tripod.com/cockamamieph ... -attic?i=0

Or this kinda stuff that's not visible from the attic hatch.

http://b4uclose.tripod.com/cockamamieph ... atcher?i=4

I think a lot of people just disclaim it because they're in a hurry and it's kinda hard work.

I don't want a customer calling me to ask how come I didn't see junk like this.

Carry plenty of water in the summertime. I'll usually suck a couple of bottles after a hot attic.

Originally posted by sirch

Down here in the sunny south,everything is in the attic!The a/c,furnace,water heater,etc.If I am going to do a thorough inspect I'm going in.Chris K.

When there's mechanical equipment in the attic, there should be a walkway. That's not the scenario that the original poster was talking about.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I get everywhere possible in an attic. It doesn't bother me a bit to mess up even the prettiest blown-in insulation. If I really screw it up, I'll push it around to even it out. But I'm not going to skimp on the work because of an obstacle that looks like it belongs in a playground.