narrative reports

Originally posted by Erby

But WJ, competent report writers are few and far between. That's why we're here at your feet and Bonnie's trying to learn.

What I'd REALLY like to know is what words you quietly whisered into that microphone??????

Enquiring minds want to know!!!!!

Probably would've been something like, "The last real estate lady who ignored my advice is sharing a cell with a dominatrix who goes by the handle, 'The Fist.'"

WJid="blue">

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

That is excellent storytelling, brother Mike.

And, y'know, it's not so far from what actually happened in the two weeks after my bypass surgery back in '99. Co-inspector Rick, who's perfectly able to do HI work all by himself, made his days easier by arriving at the jobsite early, and describing what he saw to me, via his cellphone, as I sat with my feet up on the computer desk, back at my office. He took a few breaks to show the customers the points of concern, then pulled the finished report that I sent via email out of the printer. We did about 20 jobs that way...

Customers thought Rick was the smartest man in the world. "The man did the whole job in an hour, then handed us a report still warm from the printer."

The concept of competent eyes in the field, reporting to competent report writers back at the office has a lot of merit.

WJ

Thanks Walter, but I didn't exactly dream that up. When Steve J. and I worked together a few years ago, we did like you and Rick did onsite using FM wireless intercoms. We didn't have any video feed, though. However, video is being used in this manner by the Army, so it's not so far fetched.

Last year the Army began field trials in Iraq of a new squad command system. Troops each wear a headset with a tiny video camera and flip-down computer monitor that's in front of one eye. There's a little cigarette pack sized computer in a pouch on their hip. During an operation, what they see is transmitted to their squad leader and headquarters so that leadership can get real-time information about operations, and, when necessary, direct them in the field from headquarters.

With this system the squad leader can switch his feed to see and hear what each of his soldiers is seeing, he can see a display of a map of the operation that shows the exact position of each of his troops on the battlefield, and he is able to see photos and other documents that are transmitted to him from higher. Since he or she can see what's happening in real time, if a C.O. needs to, it's possible to direct the movement and actions of the operation while sitting in a tent miles away.

Like most things that start in the military, it won't be long before they're applied in civilian life. I've begun noticing that some action TV shows and movies have featured something similar and I recall last year reading something about how a municipality was using a network of wearable computers to link all of their muni inspectors together. You never know, it might not be too far in the future before someone attempts to apply it to what we do.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Gotcha Bain, I know what you mean. For instance, if there's a fixture in a closet with a missing globe,(of course I mean a fixture that is capable of holding a globe), I don't need to refer the solution to a professional.

On the other hand, a receptacle that has reversed polarity will be referred to an electrician even though we all know that most half witted harry home owners can fix it themselves.