Furnace filter opening

Mark P

New construction.

What is the rule on not having an air return within so many feet/inches of the combustion chamber of a furnace? Should I consider the filter opeing in this setup in this regards?

This is how I was going to write it up, but maybe I should add something more? Opinions....

"Improve: Install a cover over the HVAC filter opening. Not covering this opening, allows for a substantial amount of air leakage around the edges of the filter panel rather than causing all of the air to flow through the filter. "

Thanks

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1.jpg

45.72 KB

What is the rule on not having an air return within so many feet/inches of the combustion chamber of a furnace? Should I consider the filter opeing in this setup in this regards?

No.

Opinions....

"Install a cover over the access port for the filter. The system will pull in "dirty" air from the garage and send it into the home."

Originally posted by AHIS

New construction.

This is how I was going to write it up, but maybe I should add something more? Opinions....

"Improve: Install a cover over the HVAC filter opening. Not covering this opening, allows for a substantial amount of air leakage around the edges of the filter panel rather than causing all of the air to flow through the filter. "

Thanks

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1.jpg

45.72 KB

That return duct should be insulated

Originally posted by MMustola

Why SHOULD the return duct be insulated? I agree that it would be nice if it was, but it is never done in my area. We do not even insulate the supply ducts unless they run through an attic.

My bad - I should have qualified the statement to depend on the location of the furnace.

Depends on where the unit is located. If it is in an unconditioned space such as a basement that is not heated or an attic, then it should be insulated