Conventions, trade shows, association gatherings

Chad Fabry

I've never been to an inspector "convention". So far the itineraries haven't been appealing enough to make me want to take the time and spend the money to attend.

I've considered attending in the past, but only because some of you folks were going and I'd like to meet you all.

That brings me to my question:

What or who would make you take the time to attend?

Chad,

I have attended 9 ITA parties, and 8 ASHI and dozens of regional gatherings. Maybe 5-6 state level conventions and more chapter type meetings than I can remember. Pretty much every major inspection organization national meetings.

I certainly learned a great deal in the classes, but most were too basic. Every year I learn something that makes it worth the price. I gotta tell you the Watts Training session was one of the most informative I have ever attended and I got to know several new people.

I go to see people and talk about the inspection business. I look forward to seeing the same old guys and their wifes. My wife always is on the lookout for Brian G as he is tall handsome and ever so polite. Sometimes the highlight is just smokin' with JD and Paul and talking about the kids. I cruise in and out of the classes and always find that I don't know quite as much as I thought.

I get to see inspectors interact with vendors, each other, and in a learning environment.

I also spend a good bit of time with the study of the attendees. That mix has changed over the years.

Attendance is not cost effective for me and never has been. The first few ITA events in Las Vegas and all of the ASHI events are the only chance I have/had to interact with the real pioneers of the business.

Watts.

Training and info. direct from the guys making or installing the stuff is where its at.

The only stuff I attend these days is the local ASHI annual in our state - and that's just to get the CEU's.

There's certainly not a direct cost-benefit. I only pick up a few new tidbits over two full days of seminar. That and the cost of 3 or 4 Benjamins doesn't calculate.

Kind of makes me re-think membership in general. It costs a lot of money for not a lot of benefit.

As Les has said, though, there can be a lot more to just the education. Its a personal choice.

Originally posted by sepefrio

Originally posted by randynavarro

Watts.

Training and info. direct from the guys making or installing the stuff is where its at.

Just curious, how do you find out about these besides here on TIJ. I really enjoyed the Air vent seminar and can really see the value in them. Thanks.

Hi,

Subscribe to everything, visit the websites of all of those publications, and check out their coming events. Then get on the phone and make some inquiries.

OT - OF!!!

M.

East Tenn. ASHI Chapter is having a two day event on the 15th and 16th of this month. Douglas Hansen will be one of the speakers. You can go to www.etashi.org to find out more.

ASHI Georgia will have a 3 day convention later in the year. They had a good one last year. I will post more info on this when I find the paperwork I have on it.

I attended a half dozen early ASHI National conferences. I wasn't thrilled with them, 'cept 2 were in cities where old girlfriends reside. Once a family began, I no longer had any interest in multi-day events. Have you ever spent 3 days stuck with several hundred home inspectors? [:-yuck]

I now attend one day events put on by local chapters or state associations. I look for seminars that have at least one topic covering a new building product that I am not completely experienced with. I end up with well over 80 CEUs each year. I'm not a shmoozer/networking type, so the smaller, more local events are more pleasant. I also speak at 3 to 6 seminars each year.

In addition to the above, I attend several restoration conferences, preservation workshops and "old-house" expos each year. I always gain incredible amounts of information that's helpful to my clients.

I'm incredibly lacking in CEU attainment. I usually end up w/barely over the minimum for maintenance of licensing & association requirements.

Why? Because most of the accredited seminars & classes are painfully elementary, very often taught by folks that have no right to be in front of a class other than the right given them by the (usually clueless) anointing bodies. They drive me crazy. I don't know how the folks w/the 100+ hours of CEU's can stand it.

Instead, I spend time w/mfg's. rep's, related trades, and in personal research that provides me w/ the specifics of what I need to know. I read. A lot. None of it gets me any CEU's, but I don't care. I know what I know.

OTOH, I've enjoyed every convention & gathering I've ever been to simply for the exposure to other folks in the business. The best stuff is talking to peers in the hallway & at dinners & gabfests that go into the night. I've always come away w/good insights & knowledge.

Originally posted by Phillip

East Tenn. ASHI Chapter is having a two day event on the 15th and 16th of this month. Douglas Hansen will be one of the speakers. You can go to www.etashi.org to find out more.

ASHI Georgia will have a 3 day convention later in the year. They had a good one last year. I will post more info on this when I find the paperwork I have on it.

The one in Georgia will be September 19-21. There will be more info at www.seinspectorconference.com later on. Most of the info there now is from last year.

Yes I get tried of the same thing so I look at different classes. I guess the longer you are around the more you run into the same classes.

I am always looking to learn something new even if I don't get CEs out of it.

This year was the first in 7 that I didn't attend the ASHI conference. The first year I knew no one and learned a lot. At the last one, I knew a bunch of people, many that I now consider friends, but learned very little. All in all, well worth the plane fare all six times!

I went to two ITA conferences in Vegas. The first one was ok, but the last one I went to, in '06, was a very bad experience. It seemed more like a 60's Shriner convention and I was embarassed to be there.

Originally posted by Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I just checked our calendar and I see that it's not posted there. If you know someone with that chapter, you should let them know that, being a non-profit, they can post their training announcements here free. Everything that's posted to the calendar of events automatically goes out in the newsletter and will reach nearly 20,000 subscribers - some of whom are sure to be in that chapter's vicinity.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I have attended 3 or 4 ASHI conventions and find them to be average at best. Occasionally there will be some excellent education but most of the time it's subpar. I will go next year since its only about 1.5 hours away in Orlando.

The state association I am a member of (FABI) has 2 day sessions every quarter at 10-11 CEU's each and that is usually my source of CEU's.

Ah, the Watts thing. I was busy inspecting when that came along, and if I recall it was about radiant floors (?). I still haven't seen one, but if business is DOA I might go for it anyway.

Will it be in Springfield, MO again? That looks like about 8 - 9 hours each way. I wouldn't call that my back yard, but about the same as a trip to the In-laws.

Brian G.

Title For a New Country Song: My In-Laws Are Outlaws [:-cowboy] [:-sing]

Originally posted by Brian G

[navy]Will it be in Springfield, MO again? That looks like about 8 - 9 hours each way. I wouldn't call that my back yard, but about the same as a trip to the In-laws.[/blue]

Wha?!

It's a whole lot more in your backyard than it was for Kurt, Les, Ezra, Mark, or myself!

Jeesh!

OT - OF!!!

M.

I'd love to have a little input into the seminar, if Watts wanted input.

It was a good gig. It was an 8 1/2 hour drive for me, and honestly, I haven't done the big drive in a while & I really liked it. I left in the evening, drove until I was tired, slept in the back of my rig w/a nice Thermarest pad & down bag, made coffee in the rest stop in the morning, and got in touch w/the basics.

Yeah, it was kinda stinky, but then again, so am I.