Chimney or Jenga?

Huh,

Leave it to Les - always looking out for the ladies. Yeah, now that you mention it, Bonnie has been pretty quiet lately. Maybe she got fed up with us lazy HI's who started her course and have been kind of lackadaisical about finishing the work. This being the slow, slow time of the year, it's probably a good idea to get back on that and finish it up now.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Les

Jim,

I meant to say you already know the answer and you had a position in the catbird seat!

Hah! I'm not that clever. I was honestly just wondering what significant thing might have happened in 1905 to cause a change in framing techniques. I think Bill's last answer is about as close as we're going to get.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hey Jim,

I am at home, but think it is page 10or11 that says something like para-phrased "Sears houses were a major cause of change from balloon to platform framing and carpenters beginning to think for themselves. A new way of doing it began to take hold."

My personal feelings are the leading edge/toe of the rafter could be fitted to a ridge with a little wiggle room for the framer and it was a similiar method used for constructing platforms. A couple of grunts could hang the ridgeboard on end rafters and the carpenters could cut more rafters and not have to worry about the fit. It also likely took the place of collar ties/gussets. You could move or shim a rafter to ridge board and still maintain the roof sheathing plane.

I don't know - most of my building was done with large stones, volunteer farmers/subjects and rope!