What do you see?

Phillip

I'm still not sure what you're after; the pictures aren't telling me anything in particular beyond what Chad and Jim have said.

Not sure what a ledge board is; is that local nomenclature for a sill? If it is, the board should be treated.

What does the plumbing pipe drain? A shower or a sink? If it's a shower, it should be 2".

It this is going to court based on the pictures, the court might not understand what we're looking @ without a broader field of view to see what all this stuff is.

Also, it's a bearing wall, not a barring wall.

Does the bearing wall run perpendicular to joists or parallel? If it's parallel you're saying that the bearing wall isn't over a doubled joist and in fact, isn't over a joist at all as is evidenced by the plumbing that is concealed in said wall? Or if it's perpendicular are you saying that it's not over the beam?

Exactly what the heck are you writing about?

Image Insert:

200821352611_07%20BearingWallSupport.jpg

130.41 KB

Hi,

Phillip, I too am struggling to understand exactly what it is that you are asking. Simply showing us a picture of a joint between a couple of framing members, without any background or better photographs, doesn't give us anything to go on. I can't be sure, but it looks like you/re fishing for someone to come to the same conclusion you did, whatever that was. However, without establishing photos and a better idea of what we're looking at, that's impossible. Why don't you just tell us what's going on and give us further background about what we're seeing in this pictures, so that we can voice a more informed opinion?

OT - OF!!!

M.

I was trying to see what some one would say with the limit view of the photos.

The set up is close to what Chad has posted. There are other bearing wall that are not setting on doubled up joist.

Kurt, I guess I should of said ledger strip not ledge board, which is suppose to be nailed on the side of the beam to support the joist when you do not use joist hangers.

The drain comes from the tub on the second floor.

Here is a photo of the wall that the pipe is in on the inside of the house.

Image Insert:

2008213134622_01.28.08%20117.jpg

64.11 KB

Here is one of the other bearing walls

Image Insert:

2008213134831_01.28.08%20120.jpg

54.91 KB

Here is where the stairs have moved from when I inspected it 3 years ago.

Image Insert:

2008213135218_01.28.08%20157.jpg

62.52 KB

Right now a price has been given of $40,000 for the known repairs needed.

What is the flub that was made, Phillip? Did the builder neglect to erect the main-level load-bearing wall on top of the pier and beam system in the basement or crawlspace? That's a pretty egregious error for a carpenter to make when the walls are bare. What about the ceiling joists in the attic? Are they on top of the basement pier and beam system, or on top of the mislocated main-level load bearing wall?

Or . . . am I completely misunderstanding?

What's the proposed remedy that's gonna cost 40K? Erecting a second pier and beam system beneath the misplaced main-level wall?

I can't tell too well either what is being shown.

What I see often in new framing, however, is walls parallel to joist directions that may not be bearing anymore than their own weight plus that of drywall etc, but located dead between two joists, supported by no mas than the 3/4 decking. You can see/feel them going south prior to sheetrock.

I urge the builder to put bridging or other support between joists to catch that wall weight.

The builder did neglect to erect the main-level load-bearing wall on top of the pier and beam system in the crawlspace.

The ceiling joists in the attic is on top of the mis-located main-level load bearing wall.

There are other things wrong with the house.

The main electrical panel is in the master bedroom closet along with other problems.

The whole house is plumbed with 1/2' cpvc. There was an one inch line from the meter to the house.

S-traps where used and the kitchen sink and washer drain pipe backs up. Lack of vents along with leaks.

The crawlspace is only vented on two sides.

Improper flashing of the roof.

Missing railing at the porch and steps.

The interior walls and ceiling of the garage is covered with vinyl siding.

The heat pump in the attic does not have the clearance to be worked on, no floored area to it and no light.

No egress windows in the bedrooms upstairs.

The house was built in 2004 and no AHJ.

This is just part of the problems.

The septic tank look just like this in 2005.

Image Insert:

200821320526_01.28.08%20004.jpg

168.77 KB

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Phillip

....The main electrical panel is in the master bedroom closet along with other problems.....

You are correct sir. No changes from the 2005 NEC.

NEC 2008 240.24(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material

Just out of curiosity, what were the other electrical citations?

Originally posted by Sodapop

Originally posted by Phillip

....The main electrical panel is in the master bedroom closet along with other problems.....

You are correct sir. No changes from the 2005 NEC.

NEC 2008 240.24(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material

Just out of curiosity, what were the other electrical citations?

The house was build in 2004. It would be using the 2002 NEC.

No AFCIs, Missing GFCIs, lack of receps in the house and on the kitchen counters, No disconnect at the water heater and the AC units in front of the disconnects,