Replacing deteriorated flashings on a tile roof

Bain

I looked at an eighty-year-old house today that had a tile roof. All the sidewalls and protrusions had been heavily tarred and the roof was leaking like crazy. I told the buyer she needed further assessment by a local guy that I trust, but apparently the problem was that all the step- and valley-flashings were corroded and needed to be replaced because they were original.

But I got to wondering . . . How are heavy tiles put back into place when they're removed to replace the flashings? How does one refasten the tiles to the decking? I know with slate, people nail the copper strip beneath the shingle and wrap it around the lower edge, but that won't work with tiles 'cause they're so heavy. Has anyone seen this kind of repair performed?

Take 'em off, and put 'em back on w/new flashings. The hole @ the left is where you place the nail to hold it to the sheathing. Sometimes the felts are shot, but that's not as common as most folks think.

You move piles of heavy tile around the roof while you work; it's an expensive & laborious job, but it's fun and mystically rewarding. It sounds corny, but I feel a connection to the Olde Guarde when I work w/tile roofing.

Image Insert:

2008215191855_tileroof.jpg

74.81 KB

Image Insert:

2008215192317_tile.jpg

42.49 KB