Your thoughts.

sepefrio

Originally posted by Kyle Kubs

So what of this 40amp. breaker with #8 Alum. wire now that we know it is not an A/C circuit?

I'm going to stick my neck out and disagree with Douglas Hansen and Code Check Electrical.

As I read 110.14©(1)(a)(3), you can use the 75 degree column to determine ampacity *if* everything else in the circuit is listed and identified for use at 75 degrees.

Every breaker and 240-volt receptacle that I've seen for the last dozen years or so is marked at 75 degrees. If we assume that the cable in that photo is SE and not NM, then the 40-amp breaker on the #8 aluminum dryer circuit should be fine.

If it were NM cable, then we'd be out of luck.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jeff Remas

It cannot be a sub panel since it does not have a 4 wire cable coming to it. If it is a sub then it is way wrong.

Maybe he is talking about the 2 wires per terminal bar hole that has been violated.

If those black wires neutrals going to the 240 line, some white tape would be nice.

Everything else is a little too far away.

The question would be: are connectors listed to be installed in the fashion this one is. The black wire on the neutral bus seems to have white stripes along it's length.