Inspection vehicle

pjkelly

Originally posted by pjkelly

I am just getting into the inspection business and wondering what type of vehicles people are using. I have a Ford Escape and am feeling a little undersized. Your comments are appreciated.

Really? I'd think the Escape would be just about perfect. You shouldn't need a very large vehicle for inspection work. I could never understand the F250 mentality. Heck all you need to carry are a couple of ladders, a tool bag or two and yourself.

I like my Honda CRV, but it's noisy. If I had to buy a new car tomorrow, I'd look hard at the Toyota RAV4.

If I didn't need the AWD, I'd be looking at very small cars. There's an inspector in Utah who drives an MG.

Ask Richard Moore to post a picture of his ride.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The new CR-V's are really quite nice. A little larger than the previous models, and more than adequate to haul around anything you'd need to do the job. Or....

Honda Element; large interior space, good roof racks, good mileage.

Toyota RAV4; it's a 'yota, they run good and long.

Scion box-mobile; cheap, good mileage, large interior space.

Subaru; most excellent vehicle, but more expensive than the previous listings.

0r, a clean AFT-mobile, as in Any XXXX-ing Thing that gets good mileage.

I don't get the F250 ethic either. Entirely unnecessary for this business. Folks that have 'em, like 'em, but w/fuel costs being what they are, I also know plenty of folks trying to get rid of them, and they can't because no one wants them right now.

Cheap, good mileage, clean. That's really all that counts.

Greetings

I am looking into getting into the business full time

Presently working out of my 2003 Jetta Wagon

Preety good

fits everything pretty well

eventually looking at a Chevy HHR with roof ladder rack

Seems like they are becoming pretty popular with the service crowd.

Ideally would have prefferes a Chrysler MAGNUM AWD

buth with the price of gas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe

I have an F150 2wd with a 5 speed. It's absolutely the most worthless piece of crap I've ever owned. It'll be stuck if you stop on a sheet of wet newspaper. The fuel mileage is abysmal and if you try to carry 1,000 lbs it cries like a baby. I'm going to upgrade to a Caravan as soon as I can find some loser to buy my headache. My wife's Subaru Legacy would pull my truck backwards up hill.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

My wife's Subaru Legacy would pull my truck backwards up hill.

LOL, and around a corner at 60 mph on a sheet of ice and never lose traction. Subarus are phenomenal on corners - the damned things corner like they're on rails - even with ice on the road.

My sympathies, Chad. [;)]

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

It's absolutely the most worthless piece of crap I've ever owned. It'll be stuck if you stop on a sheet of wet newspaper. I'm going to upgrade to a Caravan as soon as I can find some loser to buy my headache. My wife's Subaru Legacy would pull my truck backwards up hill.

That made me laugh my ass off.

I've been using this since Jan. 2006. Almost 30 MPG city and highway and lots of room. I have since ditched the roof rack and carry the ladder inside. I got tired of freeway scum all over the ladder and it helped my MPG go from 28-28 to 28-30. Cheap to by and operate and it is still worth 75% of what I paid for it.

I bought it for the novelty since I was starting over in a new location and everybody remembers me.

Image Insert:

200822519849_truckmpg.jpg

40.76 KB

I used to have a big bad truck, 4X4, 4 doors, big bed and a thristy V8 - for what? Rarely used 4x4, only to get me out of stupid situations. I find that I, my tools, equipment and LG ladder fit fine into a 2003 Chevy Impala SS. Just put the back seat down and slide the ladder through the trunk. Nice and sporty looking, gets decent gas mileage and puts many of the passenger car suped up rockets to shame.

Image Insert:

2008225201054_impala.jpg

9.15 KB

Originally posted by kurt

Yeah... those are two bad little vehicles.

I love toaster cars, but I'd really dig a Mini.

Probably not a good idea where you are Kurt. Both have really low front clearance and would plow any snow over a 2-3 inches. As I live halfway up a steep ridge, and our local snow prep seems to consist solely of pre-positioned "Road Closed" signs, I can't even get out of the neighborhood after a heavy snow-fall. Unfortunately, that only happens about once every couple of years. I say unfortunately, 'cos I love the quiet and fun it brings.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif snowboat.jpg

93.47 KB

To not get too off topic or drift too much, I will provide my own advice on getting a rig. Find a vehicle that gets the best gas mileage possible, sits low enough to not have to reach overhead to pull a ladder (it gets old), and be sure it is presentable. You need to make good first impressions every day.

I have a canopy on my truck right now, I figure it helps with gas mileage as well as a bed rail cap... could be wrong.