Inspection vehicle

pjkelly

I'm using my 2002 Prius. I've averaged 40 mpg for the last 106,000 miles. I haven't even replaced the brakes yet. I have a decent looking 1996 Grand Voyager but it doesn't have a roof rack. I plan on using a telescoping ladder and everything else fits in the trunk too. It parks easily looks good, and is great to drive.

If I were to buy a new vehicle it would be between a new Prius and a Scion. The Prius is my first Toyota and I love it. I've had trucks ( my first a 75 K5 Blazer), vans as big as the Dodge 350 extended and even a small AMC wagon. I am happy being down sized. Now if I could too.

Rick Sabatino

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

How many of you guy's that carry a 24' or larger extension ladder have a smaller rig that gets good gas mileage. (I need my 24' extension ladder, unless there is a telescoping ladder that goes that high now)

Eric--- with curves like that, she has to be aerodynamic

My CRV easily carries a 24-footer. Occasionally, it carries the 32-footer.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I'm still using a small king-cab truck with a low camper shell and a removeable roof rack. Top-loading is murder on gas mileage, so I leave off the rack and the extension ladder unless I know I'll need it. Otherwise, good but not great mileage, and it hauls anything I want. I'd love more power, but there would go the mileage.

With what gas prices will be by summer, I'm considering a mo-ped with a tiny trailer. [:-crazy]

Brian G.

$4 a Gallon, Here We Come [:-weepn]

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Jim,

What kind of mileage do you get?

Fairly crappy.

With the ladders:

18/20

Without the ladders:

18/22

That's why I'd look at the RAV4 next time.

BTW, my wife drives a Prius and she loves it. I agree with Rick, it makes a dandy inspection vehicle.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

We had a RAV4 and I just had trouble fitting into that thing and being comfortable. My son (6'3" 230lbs) has a Saturn VUE with AWD and it has been a good and spacious car. I fit better in the Saturn than the RAV4.

Me, I drive a 4 door 2001 F-150 with about 165,000 miles on it. I like the comfort of my truck. Have never had any major problems and it is still running great. Only issue I have with it is the 5.4 liter engine. Gas mileage is good if I keep it under 70, about 14-16 in the city and 20-22 on the highway. Really not all that bad considering the size engine it has.

I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a new car. I have really been thinking about the larger KIA SUV, we have several friends with them and they have few problems with them. I have also decided that I will never buy a brand new car. Next car will most likely come from Car Max or whoever with around 15,000 to 25,000 miles on it.

The hardest thing will be that we have not had any car payments in over three years!

2005 Chevy Astro Van.

Needed the seats for the kids, but with cargo area in the back for all my stuff. I've had to remove the back seat for the storage though, so I can't take the whole family. One person has to stay home when we go out -- just kidding.

I've built custom storage shelves that hold all my gear. The shelves dis-assemble, unclip from the cargo tie-downs and I can put the back seat back in if I'm really in a pinch.

Gas mileage is surprisingly dismal--14-16 in the city. I had to buy the van in a hurry and didn't have much time to research. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought something bigger that fits everybody including myself a bit better -- read Suburban nor something. I had to cut down and re-weld the metal brackets holding the drivers seat, so my head doesn't rub the ceiling when I sit.

I bought it with 13K miles so it was cheaper -- $16,000.

It doesn't work financially to buy a new car that gets better gas mileage. I ran the math one time and can't remember the exact number, but the amount of money you save getting 6-12 MPG better is pittance compared to the cost of a whole new vehicle.