A/C Condensation disposal

Scottpat

I have searched the site over and over and I can't believe that this had not come up. I know that I have seen it discussed but I sure can't locate anything.

We all know that it is wrong to connect an A/C condensation line directly to a waste line or DWV. I have searched the IRC and I can not locate the verbiage that states it can not be done. M1411 says the condensation needs to go to an approved place of disposal. Now what is that?

Need some help locating this to back up my call on the following photo. I have them on the way the line is connected but not on connecting to the waste line. That 4" line is from a toilet!

Image Insert:

200822984858_IMG_7769.jpg

84.63 KB

Uniform Mechanical Code

M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance.

Unform Plumbing Code

9.1.10 Air Conditioning Equipment. Where condensate or other drainage from air conditioning or cooling equipment discharges to a drainage system it shall discharge indirectly to a trapped and vented receptor through an air break or air gap. EXCEPTION: An air break shall not be permitted where the drain connects to a point in the air conditioning equipment that operates at a pressure below atmospheric

9.3 INDIRECT WASTE RECEPTORS

9.3.1. General (snip)Exceptions: (snip)(2) In a dwelling unit, a laundry sink, provided that an air gap is maintained for any potable clear-water waste shall be an acceptable receptor for: a. Air conditioning condensate.(3) A service sink or mop basin shall be an acceptable receptor for air conditioning condensate and any infrequent potable clear-water waste if the required air gap is provided for potable clear-water wastes.

9.3.3 Prohibited Locations

Receptors for indirect wastes shall not be located in a toilet room or in any confined, concealed, inaccessible, or unventilated space.

EXCEPTION: Air conditioning condensate in dwellings shall be permitted to drain to a tub waste and overflow or lavatory tailpiece in accordance with Section 9.4.3.c.5.

9.43 Air Conditioning Condensate

(snip)C. Discharge of air conditioning condensate shall not be permitted to create a nuisance such as by flowing across the ground or paved surfaces. Unless expressly prohibited by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, the point of indirect discharge for air conditioning condensate shall be one of the following:

1. The building sanitary drainage system.

2. The building storm drainage system.

3. A sump pump.

4. A subsurface absorption pit or trench.

5. Within dwellings, a tub waste and overflow or lavatory tailpiece within the same dwelling.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Thanks gentlemen!

Now my client is fighting with the builder because he builds in a county that does not enforce or inspect to any codes. One of the more memorable quotes from builder; "I do not build homes I build shelters." Class act of a builder!

That reminds me of something I used to tell clients buying new homes: "Builders aren't in business to make great homes, they're in it to make great money."

This is my favorite answer to that issue. From the 2003 IRC, in Chapter 31, Vents:

P3103.3 Use limitations

The plumbing vent system shall not be utilized for purposes other than the venting of the plumbing system.

How's that for simple and right to the point? ...shall not.... No ambiguity there.

Brian G.

Not That It Stops Anyone [:-irked]