FPE Panels......Again

hausdok

Okay,

So this past weekend I inspected a 2 bedroom 1-3/4 bath condo for a retired judge in downtown Seattle. Inexpensive $800,000 unit. Found an FPE sub-panel. Warned them about it, provided them with a copy of Sir Douglas of Hansen's excellent paper on FPE panels and recommended that they bring the issue to the attention of the condominium association for correction. I can only imagine what kind of stink this will create, since there are a sh*tload of these units for sale in this building.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2821_2nd_Ave.jpg

76.11 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They will find a stoolie sparky who will say it is "grandfathered". Then you'll spend several minutes trying to tell them there is nothing to be "grandfathered" that they are dangerous pieces of junk.

If they really want the unit, they'll ignore your advise and buy the unit.

Been there, done that!

Donald

InspectorMan Dan,

Use the search function under the Forum tab about 2/3 the way up your screen. Read up on these bad boys. Nobody's going to razz you. You gotta have stones to stand up and ask a question around here and most of us respect that. Integrity may be first, but education is a close second.

You got some studying to do,

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

InspectorMan Dan,

Use the search function under the Forum tab about 2/3 the way up your screen. Read up on these bad boys. Nobody's going to razz you. You gotta have stones to stand up and ask a question around here and most of us respect that. Integrity may be first, but education is a close second.

You got some studying to do,

I will assume this was not a slam on me and only leave this additional comment:

I actually have Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering and I have background, although many years ago, in residential wiring, so I don't lack any education and I have more experience in electrical than most home inspectors do. I also went to what I consider the "BEST" home inspection training available...ITA.

I am just not familiar with these particular subpanel types and the problems surrounding them, as I am not a licensed electrician and I have never come across any in my inspections. Most homes here in the midwest use cutler-hammer or other reputable brand boxes. Very few homes even have subpanels around here unless it is a farm with power to a barn or utility bldg.

Thanks for pointing me to where the information on these subpanels reside on the forum.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

That was no slam... Brian is that your hair or a helmet?...that was a slam.

Chad, is that your penis or were you having Vienna sausage for lunch?...THAT'S a slam. [:o] [:-dev3] [:D] [:-bigeyes] [}:)] [:-irked] [:-mischievous]

Say Dan, if the name "Zinzco" doesn't ring a bell, you'll want to look into that one too.

Brian G.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

and I have more experience in electrical than most home inspectors do.

Apparenty not, at least in regards to inspectin.

Easy there Jerry...

A. Most inspectors have none

B. No claims were made about inspecting

Dan's delicate...you might give him a complex, screw-up his love life, and have to explain it all to his frustrated wife. You don't want to answer that phone call...

Brian G.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

and I have more experience in electrical than most home inspectors do.

Apparenty not, at least in regards to inspectin.

No complex here. I didn't mean to sound arrogant or anything, just that I have an electrical background and not new to electrical.

Didn't mean to insinuate that home inspectors don't typically know electrical or anything of the like. It just sounded to me that I was being called an idiot in a nice way by asking about those particular boxes.

But, thanks for caring enough to reply.

Chad,

Thanks man. I am glad I found out about the FPE situation in spite of looking like an idiot to get the information! [b)]

I know no matter how much education and training I have under my belt, I will always have things to learn and will come across situations that I am unsure how to handle.

That is why I frequent places like this and talk to other inspectors. "I am not too proud to say I don't know". I just don't want to get beat up for asking. [:-banghead]

Dan,

The fact that you have the guts to ask is paramount. I used to agonize over my posts before I posted them. Now I don't even spell check.

It'll take a while to get over 'Vienna sausage" though.

I'm as new as you are to HI, and I've been reading every post on every forum since last November.. been chided a few times too. Morrison told me to never talk about what underwear I was wearing and Cramer told me to get a code book.

The one thing I will tell you is that between here and Inspection News there's some damn sharp people that'll share their knowledge, and as a result ours will grow exponentially. I take it like cookies from a jar..sometimes withe their knowledge, sometimes with out. Don't be thin skinned. Life's too short and sadly, so are Vienna sausage.

Oh suck it up, ya big sissy. One more snivel out of you and I'll send R. Lee Ermy (the Mail Call sarge) over there to toughen you up. Now drop and give me 20 mister

Brian G. [:D]

Oh, so your the other viewer of Mail Call! [:-dog]

I knew I couldn't be the only one [:-devil] Now if we can only get him to share some of those toys with us....

Us JARHEADS didn't get mail call. We were told that if the Marine Corps. wanted us to have family, especially a wife or girlfriend, they would have issued us one as standard issue!!! [:D]

I wish my ex-wife had been standard issue. Then I could have just given her back when my tour of duty was over instead of having to spend thousands of dollars to get rid of her!!!

[:-banghead]

**3rd Marine Airwing, Heavy Marine Helicopter Batallion, Tustin, California. 1985-1989.**

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Oh, so your the other viewer of Mail Call!

I knew I couldn't be the only one. Now if we can only get him to share some of those toys with us....

As far as I'm concerned R. Lee Ermy is a great American. I'd like to clone thousands of him to put in charge of juvenile delinquent and first offender programs all across the country. [:-thumbu]

Brian G.

• 4 weeks later...

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif SV4000902.JPG

511.62 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif SV4000912.JPG

637.46 KB

Had my first encounter with the FPE panel that I had never heard about until this topic on TIJ.

In additon to the inherent problems of the box type itself, I found a double tap on fuse #8, neutrals and grounds on same bus bar, debris in the bottom of the box, bare wires close to the casing, etc. etc. etc.

Coming from the subpanel, there was a 240 volt wire going to the AC unit that had been spliced by twisting the wire together and wrapped with electrical tape. It should be no surprise that the wire had already melted and had fire hazard signs written all over it. Some people are extremely lucky!!!