Floor Joist

Doug,

After your reading you should still have questions. From an inspection perspective, they are more difficult to properly inspect. I stress "properly" because it seems like you don't see them often in your area. When tradespeople start using them they usually do it wrong.

In our area they have been the usual practice for nearly twenty years.

Although it is fairly simple to intuitively 'feel' how/why I-joists work, you can take your knowledge a step further (and have some fun) drawing some shear and moment diagrams.

You may be surprised to find how simple it really is. For a "show me how" tutorial that you can just watch while clicking 'next', go HERE!

The link is a very nice non-calculus introduction to what every building science graduate has done a gazillion times.

Enjoy!

You may be surprised to find how simple it really is. For a "show me how" tutorial that you can just watch while clicking 'next', go HERE!

The link is a very nice non-calculus introduction to what every building science graduate has done a gazillion times.

Enjoy!

Dude, you know how to party! That was a BLAST!

TJI Macmillan is now owned by Weyerhaeuser you can go to ilevel.com for their site. TJI has field reps that will at no charge, at least in this region, come and evaluate an installation of their products. Better yet they will design any portion of a structure using their products at no charge. I wish more local builders would use this service. Your local lumber yard should have many manuals on installation of these and other I-Joists (LPI,BCI etc.). It is important to determine the height, series number, spacing and span of the joist of the joist to see if the installation is correct. Along with that the location of any holes and necessary blocking. The field manuals on installation should be of great help to you. Ed

Originally posted by Doug welborn

What kind of floor joist Is this?

Doug Welborn

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_0184.JPG

147.98 KB