GA home inspector license bill waiting for the Gov

Hi Scott,

I thought they already had a requirement there that required everyone there to be ICC qualified. Maybe it wasn't a license I'm thinking about and it's the local inspector's association requirement I'm thinking of.

So, what are the salient aspects of the law? Who put it through?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hello Mike,

The organization requiring ICC code certification for membership is the Georgia Association of Home Inspectors, known as GAHI. I counted 77 full members on the website.

As far as the salient aspects of this bill, I don't really know. Here's a link for anyone desiring to compare with their state's law:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/f ... hb1217.htm

This bill was brought forward to the GA Occupational Review Committee or GORC. ASHI GA in cooperation with GAHI, NACHI, NAHI and a lobbyist wrote the draft and promoted it. Previous attempts by other groups failed, so those involved wanted to take the lead in drafting one themselves. Our local newspaper said that if the Governor signs it, licensing will be required by the end of 2009.

A standard HI licensing law, by the looks of it.

Pass an 80 hour course and a nationally recognized test (read NHIE), or prove three years experience and 100 inspections and pass the test.

The HI board will consist of a group of HI's, a GC, and a "civilian."

We'll have to have "liability insurance" as determined by the board.

20 hours CEU per year, I think....

To cite code, the inspector must be certified by the certifying body for the code cited - IRC for residential structure, roofs, etc., IPC for plumbing, NEC for electrical, and so on. (I've been putting off certification, but since I regularly cite applicable code, I guess I'll be taking those tests.)

There's no state mandated SOP --- yet.