Siding Question

Hi Terry,

i may be wrong, but my first guess is that it is an 8x4 sheeting product commonly refered to as T111, or T1-11, try googling that until you find something that matches, also look at www.sidingclaims.com for more info.

Sorry i can't help you more, but I'm heading for a cook out. (the sun is finally shining in New england !!)

regards

Gerry

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Might be a little hard to see in the picture but the siding on the front of the home is a manufactured wood siding.

Technical/manufactures name for this stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FairweatherSmall.jpg

62.75 KB

It's a T1-11 pattern, but I can't tell anything else. Post an up-close picture.

Was it plywood, OSB, hardboard, or OSB with a hardboard facing? Was there a paper overlay?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Gerry, thanks for the input. BTW, that link is broken/dead.

Jim, it's hardboard and has a type, of what could best be described as, a pressed wood texture. You can make out what would appear to be wood strands in the siding. Sorry, no closeup pictures (tried to zoom in and it just gets blurry). Maybe I'll zip past there tomorrow and ask the owners if I can take another pic.

BTW, the home was built in 1977 if that helps. The siding was in great condition over all. Had soil contact in a few areas, moved soil away and probed, everything was solid. It was just on the front of the home, the other three sides were aluminum siding.

It's hard to tell from that distance, but the spacing of the channels in the T111 pattern looks like it could be Masonite's Omniwood. It was sold in the late 70's early 80's and is basically a layer of masonite just a little thicker than a 16th of an inch bonded to an OSB substrate.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Terry,

That's not a bad site for information, but don't bother purchasing their The Siding Book. It's pretty sparse and nothing but a re-hash of bits and pieces of information that is available about various siding products on the websites of the manufacturer's. You can spend a couple of hours on the internet and if you have a fast printer compile a hundred times more good information about various siding products than you can get out of that book.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike