Old brick veneer stucco'd on wood sheathing?

Chris Bernhardt

I haven't seen this before. At first my pea brain thought it was brick. Then I though it was a brick veneer stucco'd onto block. Now, I am thinking that it has to be brick veneer stucco'd on to a wood sheathed and framed wall.

Can anyone confirm for me that it is likely a brick veneer stucco'd onto wood sheathing?

Image Insert:

200841015189_jse_041008_020.jpg

74.72 KB

Image Insert:

2008410151918_jse_041008_023.jpg

84.64 KB

Image Insert:

2008410152027_jse_041008_022.jpg

76.49 KB

It's hard to see from the pictures the area between the two windows were buckled and bulging. There are two larger cracks that run from the corners of the upper window down to the corners of the lower window with everything messed up in between.

Chris, Oregon

OK, I'm confused.. Granted it doesn't take much to accomplish that.

Are you saying that this is a brick pattern in stucco on a house with a wood substrate?

or

Are you saying that this is a brick pattern with a stucco like material on wood then attached to the house?

or

Are you saying that this is a stucco clad home that has had a brick veneer placed over the stucco?

or

Heck, I have run out of options!

I have seen EIFS with a brick pattern in it. Looks like real brick until you thump it.

It looked like individual brick faces. But jeesh that would be a lot of work to get them on straight. I could see at the corners of the building where their thickness was about 3/8" of an inch and the way things were buckling on the front I couldn't imagine them being full sized bricks.

The thickness of the exterior walls was on the order of them being 2"x4" framed. IR wasn't much help as it was showing the walls being cooler then I would have expected but warmer above windows. I could faintly make out some stud locations but they could as well as been furring.

If it is some kind of masonry unit its less than 8" deep, in fact it would have to have been closer to 4" to make sense.

Image Insert:

2008410173731_jse_041008_038.jpg

73.56 KB

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Looks like brickface. It was wildly popular here from the 40s through the mid 70s. Some old towns here have 60% of the historic buildings covered with it.

Here's the process:

www.brickface.com/product_gallery_brickface.html

Could be an EFIS product such as

http://www.stocorp.com/allweb.nsf/creativbrick

Could also be a cement fiberboard panel product such as

http://www.nichiha.com/prod_nano.htm