Texas SOP & 7A-1 - Final Draft docs for TREC

Attached are the final draft documents for the Texas SOP and 7A-1 (Report Form) and other related/suggested TREC changes.

They will be presented to the TREC Commissioners on April 28, 2008.

There will not be any further changes to the 'draft' documents between now and the 4/28/08 presentation.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif 15 Apr 08 .222 and .223 drafts.pdf

24.16 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif 15 Apr 08 REI 7A-1 draft.pdf

37.73 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif 15 Apr 08 SoP draft.pdf

168.9 KB

The KBHI is preparing SOPs for us, as well, Nolan. I don't want to say too much on a public forum, but I'm hoping the SOPs don't inhibit those of us who want to go above and beyond the call of duty and charge accordingly.

What's the spin in Texas? Once the SOPs are in force, are they a minimum standard, or do they limit what HIs can do and spell trouble for those who want to exceed the Standards?

It's all a little confusing to me. The Standards--which become part of the law--say we're not supposed to report on termites, mold, asbestos, etc. But the same laws don't protect us from being sued by customers who feel raw 'cause they have that stuff in their houses and we didn't tell them. I know of two guys in my little town who have been sued because of real or imagined mold in heat pumps.

I take it back. It isn't confusing. It's frightening.

Originally posted by Bain

What's the spin in Texas? Once the SOPs are in force, are they a minimum standard, or do they limit what HIs can do and spell trouble for those who want to exceed the Standards?

These draft documents are changes to the SOP and the original 7A-0 form that has been in play for several years in Texas.

I don't want to comment on the precise verbiage of many of the elements, but the formatting of the SOP and changes to the 7A-1 help synch up many things.

The adjustments to the SOP also will make it easier to make adjustments going forward when there is a need to add/delete/change something.

As for "limiting" ... in my view of all I've been reading and providing input on ... absolutely not at all. I've never heard of any HI in Texas being concerned about exceeding the SOP. Now ... let me say that I've not talked with every TX HI, but I've never heard any concern about exceeding the SOP.

I am always exceeding the SOP on many of the elements.

First, thanks for getting and sharing these Nolan.

Second, in the standards (someplace) it specifically states the inspector may provide a higher level than the minimum standards.

No restrictions except what may be limited by the lack of another license. For instance, we can't comment on termite activity unless licensed as a pest control guy.