Age of water heater

inspect4u

I have downloaded a copy of the decoder chart before. However, I can't figure out the age of this one based on the information. It is a Champion serial #KC1327***, according to the sheet a Champion should have a 2 digit year and 2 digit week as the first four numbers. What's with the KC?

Thanks guys,

Mike M

"...he said he thought it was about six years old."

That means it's at least 8 years old. I've had a few pre-listing inspections in the last weeks. Every time the owners told me when they thought they had replaced an appliance, it turned out they were off by at least two years. Probably just the way the mind works.

I've never seen a Champion water heater. Who makes them?

The owners of water heater companies are changing constantly. The chart that's on this site was based on manufacturer information from the diptube recall site and is about 8-10 years old. If your water heater is prior to that era and had been owned by another firm, perhaps Bradford-White or Lochinvere, it could have a letter date code system.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

I've never seen a Champion water heater. Who makes them?

It's one of the many brands made by American Water Heater Company.

You can also look at the blue tag on the PRV (or under the PRV handle on newer models) to see a very obvious stamped 2-digit date code.

Yeah, I know, the valve could be a replacement, but it's one of several clues.

I wouldn't spend more than about 30 seconds trying to figure out the age of an off-brand water heater. There's really no point to it.

Any water heater can crap out at any time. A new water heater is a fairly cheap item.

It just doesn't matter.

Spend the time looking at the forest, not the trees.

- Jim Katen, Oregon