Cripple wall receives backfill

Sorry no pix, maybe some later.

As usual, have seen something I ain't never seen.

Seems that poured basement/foundation wall was too short. Builder had to raise it maybe 18 " or so to start floor frame. At perimeter he did it with block but on this wall that made basement perimeter but inside wall for garage he framed it, covered with OSB, applied flashing, and backfilled crusher run before pouring. I've seen codes charts for unblanced fill against masonry and know that wood foundations are code compliant, but this kneewall and sheathing are not treated. Flashed only.

Anyone seen this b4?

Originally posted by Jim Baird

Sorry no pix, maybe some later.

As usual, have seen something I ain't never seen.

Seems that poured basement/foundation wall was too short. Builder had to raise it maybe 18 " or so to start floor frame. At perimeter he did it with block but on this wall that made basement perimeter but inside wall for garage he framed it, covered with OSB, applied flashing, and backfilled crusher run before pouring. I've seen codes charts for unblanced fill against masonry and know that wood foundations are code compliant, but this kneewall and sheathing are not treated. Flashed only.

Anyone seen this b4?

Yes - did one in February. There was a cripple wall on a poured foundtaion wall with back fill over the cripple wall.

This was undoubdtedly the most termite infested structure I have ever seen.

Client bought it anyway - go figure!

Image Insert:

200842143056_Termite%20Wall.jpg

1639.98 KB

Thanks John,

Your pic looks a lot like the OP (of which I will have pix this eve). Yours doesn't even have the OSB sheathing.

Did you happen (as a designer) to suggest a fixit?

What am I to make of the IRC06 code section pasted below?

R404.2Wood foundation walls.Wood foundation walls shall

be constructed in accordance with the provisions of Sections

R404.2.1 through R404.2.6 and with the details shown in Figures

R403.1(2) and R403.1(3).

R404.2.1 Identification. All load-bearing lumber shall be

identified by the grade mark of a lumber grading or inspection

agency which has been approved by an accreditation

body that complies withDOCPS 20. In lieu of a grade mark,

a certificate of inspection issued by a lumber grading or

inspection agency meeting the requirements of this section

shall be accepted. Wood structural panels shall conform to

DOC PS 1 or DOC PS 2 and shall be identified by a grade

mark or certificate of inspection issued by an approved

agency.

Here is the picture.

Outside walls have brick veneer resting on poured wall's shelf. Backfill outside against brick veneer.

The inside wall of the garage has only flashing against the OSB, with sheetrock resting atop. Against this is approx 18" of crusher run stone to make base for four-inch slab.

Under the stone is earth.

Question, besides the fact that code for cripple walls here calls for 2X6 studs, does this make an entry point for termites?

Image Insert:

2008421174115_garage%20wall.jpg

54.58 KB

Thanks John,

Your pic looks a lot like the OP (of which I will have pix this eve). Yours doesn't even have the OSB sheathing.

Did you happen (as a designer) to suggest a fixit?

What am I to make of the IRC06 code section pasted below?

R404.2Wood foundation walls.Wood foundation walls shall

be constructed in accordance with the provisions of Sections

R404.2.1 through R404.2.6 and with the details shown in Figures

R403.1(2) and R403.1(3).

R404.2.1 Identification. All load-bearing lumber shall be

identified by the grade mark of a lumber grading or inspection

agency which has been approved by an accreditation

body that complies withDOCPS 20. In lieu of a grade mark,

a certificate of inspection issued by a lumber grading or

inspection agency meeting the requirements of this section

shall be accepted. Wood structural panels shall conform to

DOC PS 1 or DOC PS 2 and shall be identified by a grade

mark or certificate of inspection issued by an approved

agency.

Yes, I recommended a repair replacing the untreated cripple wall with boxed beams made from 2 X 6's treated for burial. This way he could jack a section, remove the cripple wall and insert the beam then move to the next section.

Obviously, the builder of this house did not build to code. Wood foundations are fine if the designed correctly and the proper material is used.

All studs on the front of the house had to be replaced - total repair cost estimated at $100K.

I also recommended re-grading the property to remove the soil against the wood foundation.

Here is the picture.

Outside walls have brick veneer resting on poured wall's shelf. Backfill outside against brick veneer.

The inside wall of the garage has only flashing against the OSB, with sheetrock resting atop. Against this is approx 18" of crusher run stone to make base for four-inch slab.

Under the stone is earth.

Question, besides the fact that code for cripple walls here calls for 2X6 studs, does this make an entry point for termites?

Image Insert:

2008421174115_garage%20wall.jpg

54.58 KB

In addition to concerns about moisture and termite damage to that untreated below-grade wood, I hope (but doubt) that the concrete foundation wall was engineered to restrain the top of the concrete wall from pushing inward. You have a depth of unbalanced fill greater than the wall height, which is outside the realm of the prescriptive building code. This needs to have an engineered design. The foundation is going to want to hinge at the sill plate.