stakeholders, thread drift, tuna cassarole

Originally posted by chrisprickett

I market myself as a small "hands-on company" and not a big franchise. People who like the advantages of a big company, won't use me, but those who want the feel of a smaller company will.

The rest of my marketing strategy is not to get a bigger piece of the pie, but to make the pie bigger! Construction, warranty, pre-listing, peace of mind inspections all play into that.

That's very similar to my playbook, I just wish I had more moola to power it. It'll get there. Another beauty angle of that is broader training and experience, making one better a better-rounded inspector.

Brian G.

No matter how tactfully they lay it out or veil it, the ASHI "Branding" issue comes down to: "If your Home Inspector Isn't ASHI he/she's not Spit!!!

I've been with ASHI 20 yrs last January, and that whole thing sits wrong to me.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)

Not all real estate agents are "REALTORS"

They pay to become a "Realtor" and are provided with tools and marketing material. They are required to go to continuing education classes in order to stay a "Realtor".

ASHI did the same thing. You don't have to belong. To many people are focusing on ASHI marketing to Realtors. ASHI National does and will do some marketing to Realtors but they gave a big chunk of money to the chapters so they could market as they see fit.

I have a local radio show in Saturday's and ASHI has three ads on in one hour. The money they spent for those ads is not directed at Realtors, it's directed at the consumer.

If you are an ASHI member get involved in your chapter and help them determine where that money should be spent.

If you don't get involved, Don't bitch.

Originally posted by swarga

To many people are focusing on ASHI marketing to Realtors.

This is a good opportunity for me to say that I'm not down on ASHI as a whole. Whatever differences I have with what's going on, I still consider it my home for now and the best HI organization out there. I talk about these issues because I have higher expectations of my organization than some of the others out there. We've gotten off track, that's all.

I have a local radio show in Saturday's and ASHI has three ads on in one hour. The money they spent for those ads is not directed at Realtors, it's directed at the consumer.

That's more like it. ASHI has the resources and talent to make an impact over the long haul, or I think they do. We should be devoted to building a wide bridge to them, not the gatekeepers.

If you are an ASHI member get involved in your chapter and help them determine where that money should be spent.

If you don't get involved, Don't bitch.

I have to differ with you there Scott. A lot of members have no chapter, and others are spread so far apart they can only meet a few times a year (like mine). Surely that doesn't forfeit the right to object.

Then there's still the problems with our national realtor policy and our political structure.

Personally, I would much rather be discussing this over at the ASHI board, but I have no access.

Brian G.

I think it's part of the "put 2 inspectors in separate cars @ an intersection in the middle of nowhere, collision, etc......."

The unruly & independent minded are being corraled into a general categorization, & they don't like it; I include myself in that group. The difference (I think) is that I can ignore many things that I don't like.

I've said my piece on this, so unless the topic starts to really boil again I'm going to try to leave it alone for a while.

But first....

I'm told NACHI has an offer posted on the home page of their website wherein they offer $100 dollars per year to any broker who will post a link to their "Find an inspector" (or whatever they call it) search engine. Wow. What an incredibly naked appeal to greed by a professional organization. An implict validation of an illegitimate gatekeeper is bad, but it pales by comparison to this.

I do not presume to be knowledgeable about NACHI or any other HI organization except the one I'm in, but I encourage all HI's to reject any and all efforts to gain share by endorsing the gatekeepers. Consider your soul and the future of your profession, and give them more weight than a few extra dollars.

No offense to my NACHI / TIJ colleagues, you must know by now that I call them as I see them.

Brian G.

Hand Me a Ladder So I Can Get Down Off My Soapbox Now [:-turtle]

Originally posted by IntegrityFirst

Originally posted by DLRambo

No matter how tactfully they lay it out or veil it, the ASHI "Branding" issue comes down to: "If your Home Inspector Isn't ASHI he/she's not Spit!!!

I've been with ASHI 20 yrs last January, and that whole thing sits wrong to me.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)

I agree Dan. Jim, this is essentially what I was trying to say, but as you know, sometimes I get a little too excited about something I am passionate about saying. For that I apologize.

I just think that any organization or association dominating to the point of running everyone else out of business is not good for the economy, not just my personal bank account.

I just think people should have a choice of whether they belong ot an association like ASHI or not. I think it should be available to anyone who can benefit from it, but I don't think it should have any affect on squeezing out other HI's that make an informed choice not to be a member.

It's kinda like Wal-Mart coming in and running the mom and pop local stores out of business. Businesses that have been successful for many many years. I know this can potentially open up a whole can of worms, so I do not wish to debate this issue and cause thread drift. It is just one of the only examples I can feasibly think of at the moment.

Beat 'em or join 'em, friend. It's your call and it's been done both ways. Three out of every four inspectors on our continent are neither members nor candidates of ASHI.

And I believe Chad is the one with a story about some Kiwi twins that he has, up until now, been too much of a gentlemen to share....

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

And I believe Chad is the one with a story about some Kiwi twins that he has, up until now, been too much of a gentlemen to share....

Chad old man, you're taking this entire "gentleman" thing way too seriously... [:-eyebrows]

Brian G.