hexagonal platform

I'm cheap and I bought a used hex shaped patio set at a yard sale. It was well worth the few dollars I paid for it. I need to build a hex shaped platform to set it on in my back yard. I'm looking to make it about 10' across or so. I'm thinking of embedding it into the ground so the edge is just an inch or so above grade. No footings needed, I dont care if it floats. I'll just adjust it when needed.

Any suggestions on what materials to use to make this thing as cheap as possible. Pressure treated for sure but how about the design? Can anyone direct me to some plans or ideas to get this thing slapped together.

The chairs dont work too good when the legs sink into the dirt and gravel. The only purpose of the platform is a place to set the table and chairs.

Originally posted by AHI

Now what about the 60 degree cuts? My chop saw will set from 0 to 45 on either side. What do I do to get the 60? Set it on 30 and flip the board over?

I haven't tried that myself, but I would think you'll be setting it at 15° and figuring out how to lay the board up right to get the cut you need. 30° on one end; 60° on the other. Both are 15° from a simple 45° cut. You might goof up one or two getting things right, but those will be short pieces. Heck, grab a short piece of 2x and try it.

Brian G.

Then Again, I'm Probably Rusty as an Old Fish Hook About Now [;)]

Originally posted by AHI

Look at the second picture in this link.

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/index. ... d=chyrd012

I might follow this as a basic guide. Now what about the 60 degree cuts? My chop saw will set from 0 to 45 on either side. What do I do to get the 60? Set it on 30 and flip the board over?

What is it with you people and your chop saws?

Get two 12" long 1x4s. Nail one on top of the other at 60 degrees to make a "T" with a 60-degree-slanted top. Use this jig to guide a skilsaw when making the cuts.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by AHI

Look at the second picture in this link.

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/index. ... d=chyrd012

I might follow this as a basic guide. Now what about the 60 degree cuts? My chop saw will set from 0 to 45 on either side. What do I do to get the 60? Set it on 30 and flip the board over?

What is it with you people and your chop saws?

Get two 12" long 1x4s. Nail one on top of the other at 60 degrees to make a "T" with a 60-degree-slanted top. Use this jig to guide a skilsaw when making the cuts.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That's a good idea.