Sub-inspector

Hi all, I am to the point of looking to hire a part-time sub-inspector for the Kansas City area. I was looking for feedback on what I should pay if they find their own inspection/get requested, if I take the order and give to them, and on an assist with me. I am providing the E&O and general liability insurance, as well as a laptop with report software.

Also, any feedback on contracts between my company and the sub or other issues?

Anyone in KC area interested that might be reading this, give me a shout. I will be requiring State Licensing to provide termite inspections, completion of the NHIE and probably ASHI (though I'm still on the fence with them and whether I'm staying). Thanks in advance all.

Originally posted by fyrmnk

Hi all, I am to the point of looking to hire a part-time sub-inspector for the Kansas City area. I was looking for feedback on what I should pay if they find their own inspection/get requested, if I take the order and give to them, and on an assist with me. I am providing the E&O and general liability insurance, as well as a laptop with report software.

Also, any feedback on contracts between my company and the sub or other issues?

Anyone in KC area interested that might be reading this, give me a shout. I will be requiring State Licensing to provide termite inspections, completion of the NHIE and probably ASHI (though I'm still on the fence with them and whether I'm staying). Thanks in advance all.

When I had a sub, he got 60%- WAY too Much!!!

I think 45% and 50% if he get the lead is very fair

FYI- I now go the employee route. The IRS benchmark for subs is very strict. The fact that you are paying E&O and liability, and equpment, may be a red flag.

Kevin -

Most of the multi-man inspector companies I know pay from 35% on the low side (little experience) to 50% (experience and not needing hand holding) on the high side. Thats with you supplying the jobs. They may do some marketing on their own but if they do much it will quickly occur to them - why do they need you.

The NHIE is easier than the ASHI Test of 6+ years ago, and many local guys that have taken both say NAHI's CRI exam is stiffer than NHIE. You may want to expand your horizons.

Dan Bowers, CRI

ASHI #1038

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Chris, on my E&O base coverage with Allen, it includes coverage for 1 sub inspector as well for no additional charge, which is why I would provide it.

Dan, I appreciate the additional test information, I'll look into it.

Wondering what the chances of getting someone that will workout well on the first try are? Thanks again.

I've had three:

First Guy- A dream! He was starting his own thing (out of my territory) and picked up about 10 inspections a month. He was hands off right out of the chute. Only one minor complaint in about 100 inspections. Now is too busy, except for an occasional.

Second Guy- A nightmare! Very experienced, but no flexibility. I paid him top dollar, but he always whined too far, too old, too big, etc. Pissed everyone he came in contact with, and tried to steal clients behind my back.

Third Guy- Very green. I had to train him for a month after the state said he was "certified". Great attitude, very willing to learn, but a lot of hand holding. I have to pick and choose the inspections I send him to, and I basically re-write all of his reports befor letting them out the door.

I guess you never know!

Third Guy- Very green. I had to train him for a month after the state said he was "certified". Great attitude, very willing to learn, but a lot of hand holding. I have to pick and choose the inspections I send him to, and I basically re-write all of his reports befor letting them out the door.

Sounds like the inspector I currently have. He's very thorough but his reports suck. Seems like I get one little fire put out and then another pops up. Luckily I have the full Adobe PDF program and can change his wordiing while I'm on the phone to him. You'd think he'd get the hang of it after a while.

He doesn't proof his reports well. During his first evaluation I told him "Look, you do a good inspection but that is only half the job. The report is the other half and it's bringing your overall quality of work down."

Now that his confidence is picking up, his reports are getting "wordy". Geeez, does it ever stop??[:-banghead]

Donald

• 3 years later...
Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Quote:

Sounds like the inspector I currently have. He's very thorough but his reports suck. Seems like I get one little fire put out and then another pops up. Luckily I have the full Adobe PDF program and can change his wordiing while I'm on the phone to him. You'd think he'd get the hang of it after a while.

He doesn't proof his reports well. During his first evaluation I told him "Look, you do a good inspection but that is only half the job. The report is the other half and it's bringing your overall quality of work down."

Now that his confidence is picking up, his reports are getting "wordy". Geeez, does it ever stop??[:-banghead]

Donald

Originally posted by chrisprickett

I've had three:

First Guy- A dream! He was starting his own thing (out of my territory) and picked up about 10 inspections a month. He was hands off right out of the chute. Only one minor complaint in about 100 inspections. Now is too busy, except for an occasional.

Second Guy- A nightmare! Very experienced, but no flexibility. I paid him top dollar, but he always whined too far, too old, too big, etc. Pissed everyone he came in contact with, and tried to steal clients behind my back.

I guess you never know!

Where do you find these inspectors. I am also looking at hiring at this time.

Kewl!

What are you planning to pay? What kind of bennies will you be offering?

I just read somewhere that Indiana is the new Washington State and is like one of the top 10 places to live in the country right now. Maybe I'll pick up and move.

If I did, would I be close enough to Chicago to go up to Chi-Town and ruin a few of Kurt's weekends? [:-eyebrow

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Kewl!

What are you planning to pay? What kind of bennies will you be offering?

I just read somewhere that Indiana is the new Washington State and is like one of the top 10 places to live in the country right now. Maybe I'll pick up and move.

If I did, would I be close enough to Chicago to go up to Chi-Town and ruin a few of Kurt's weekends? [:-eyebrow

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Come on over! We have a 401k plan, 10 days paid vacation after 90 days; $100 a month gives you health insurance with small co-pays; 5 paid sick days the first year and 10 after 2 years. Paid holidays and paid day off on your birthday. We pay for mileage, continuing education and uniforms. The software or report forms is up to you. Bonus at the end of the year. We'll pay 50% of the inspection and 55% if you get refered. There are other things we offer but I don't want to say too much here. [;)]

• 5 years later...