Electrical advice from Lowes

Tom Raymond

With the recent heat wave I was shopping for an Air conditioner over the weekend. Piled up on the 220v units was a selection of breakers for various panels and a 220 receptacle. I was horrified when the associate explained that all one needed to do to install one of these units was to change the receptacle and connect "the black and the white wires" to the 220 breaker, and that "it is really pretty simple".[:-crazy]

I of course explained to him that he needs to stop telling consumers how to incorrectly rewire their homes, and that any other equipment powered on that circuit would be fried. He of course replied with a "who do you think you are" tone, but said he would stop. I'll bet dollars to donuts that all sorts of folks are still getting that advice.

It's bad enough that the big blue and orange boxes are making easier than ever for home owners to screw up their houses, but now they are giving them explicit instruction on how to do it.

Just had to share,

Tom

Think of it as job security. I'd submit that the Time/Life Fix-it Series has done more for home inspectors than any other single entity or effort.

A snide aside: The best phrase I've read on this, or in any other HI forum to date is Lord Katen's moniker for the inexperienced folks who work at the big orange box: "Orange vested aisle urchins" I can't pass by one of their stores without thinking of that and smiling.

A few months ago I was in an ACE hardware store which stocked those exhaust diverter boxes for clothes dryers. They didn't show much appreciation for my pointing out the problems with those things and in fact they admitted knowing that they were not safe. But they reasoned that since people asked for them they would sell them. Apparently they like the "Silence is Golden" rule.

Tom I would have done the same thing.

I was busy once on a remodeling project at home and sent my wife to Lowe's for junction boxes, cover plates and cable clamps. She doesn't know one from another so I told her to get the sales associate to help her. Shortly after getting to the store she calls me bacause the person at the stoor did not know what she was talking about. I tried to tell him what I wanted and after about 3 minutes told him that he needed to find someone else who knows electrical items to help her but he said that he was the only one there and assured me that he could get her what I needed.

She arrived back home with outlet boxes, junction box cover plates and cable clamps.

• 2 weeks later...