Termite tubes

In a hell of a coincidence, I found the biggest termite tube I've ever seen today. It looks very much like the one in your second picture, except that......well, mine's bigger than yours. [;)]

Image Insert:

2008610194719_A_big_tube.jpg

119.27 KB

Are termites getting bigger, or just more ambitious?

Brian G.

Now Open, Termite Toll Tube! [;)]

Originally posted by StevenT

How is this for crickets?

I recommended that the house be purchased, make a deal with local petshops and the house could pay for itself.

Image Insert:

20086119942_IMG2883.jpg

66.32 KB

Image Insert:

200861191025_IMG2882.jpg

82.82 KB

Hope you told him that insulation is installed wrong and recommended that it be pulled out, flipped over and reinstalled.

OT - OF!!!

M.

While you're right on the science I would be hesitant to flip that insulation. Unless the house is way north with an extremely long heating season, that vapor barrier is more functional as a critter barrier than it is harmful. Iknow, I know...it's wrong, but how bad is it? If it does get flipped it should still be covered based on the number of occupants in there.

Tom

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

While you're right on the science I would be hesitant to flip that insulation. Unless the house is way north with an extremely long heating season, that vapor barrier is more functional as a critter barrier than it is harmful. Iknow, I know...it's wrong, but how bad is it? If it does get flipped it should still be covered based on the number of occupants in there.

Tom

Well, it could be real bad for the HI if the usual, "do not leave facing exposed because of fire risk" language is printed right there on the facing.

WJ

id="blue">
It's right there upside down at the right side of the picture.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Whoa! I said it was wrong, but is it really any worse than having the fiberglass exposed? Last I knew that was also wrong, and in an environment with all those unwelcome guests making homes in it, larger more dangerous pests will have it all ripped out looking for snacks and for their own nests. Which is worse, the wrong installation as it is or the correct installation that is still wrong.

Personally, I think it's the science on crawls that's wrong, just as I feel about attics, they should be considered part of the envelope and insulated and conditioned as such. I have seen this concept in action in Nevada, Florida, and Western NY (all very different environs) in high end construction and I honestly think it will trickle down to more modest buildings. I have also seen it showing up in retro-fits, so I am not alone in my thinking.

Tom