Matching a new condenser to an old furnace blower

lb_one4truth

A friend of ours is selling a 2 year old carrier infinity performance series 5 ton condenser. Right now we have window units with a natural gas forced hot air furnace which is about 12 years old made by Ultra a division of magic chef. The price is right for the condenser and i would love to get it the only question is hearing and seeing alot of problems with mismatched systems i cant seem to find any info on this ultra furnace and if any condenser can be tied into it using the blower from the furnace. So the question is will that condenser work with the older furnace? Does that mess with code at all? since the house is 100 years old we all know how the layout of ducts is so will that be a problem? any suggesstions would be very helpful. thank you in advance

Luke

Short Answer...

With enough sheet metal, you can physically match the evaporator coil up to any size furnace that you want to. The evaporator coil is what gets installed at the furnace.

Long answer...

One question is, will you have enough air flow across the coil?

A 5 ton unit is really a huge unit and unless you have a HUGE house, it will be too large. It may cool the home down, but not run long enough to turn the air over and remove the humidity.

Ducts may be too small, cooler air is more dense and harder to push through the ducts.

Correct answer...

Have a HVAC contractor set you straight. You will need one anyway unless you are competent with silver solder and (at minimum) MAPP gas torches, electrical systems, thermostat replacement, etc. Not to mention, the unit will need to have the refrigerant recovered prior to removal from your friends and re-charged at your home.

Originally posted by jon_ran

Short Answer...

With enough sheet metal, you can physically match the evaporator coil up to any size furnace that you want to. The evaporator coil is what gets installed at the furnace.

Long answer...

One question is, will you have enough air flow across the coil?

A 5 ton unit is really a huge unit and unless you have a HUGE house, it will be too large. It may cool the home down, but not run long enough to turn the air over and remove the humidity.

Ducts may be too small, cooler air is more dense and harder to push through the ducts.

Correct answer...

Have a HVAC contractor set you straight. You will need one anyway unless you are competent with silver solder and (at minimum) MAPP gas torches, electrical systems, thermostat replacement, etc. Not to mention, the unit will need to have the refrigerant recovered prior to removal from your friends and re-charged at your home.

thanks for the input the house is roughly 2600 sq ft 3 stories 5 bedrooms dont know if that is considered huge in the scheme of things but a friend of mine who is in hvac was supposed to run my info through his software to see if that was the right size or not he was hesitant to give me advise on this because he is totally opposed to buying things used and wants me to get a new system i posted on here because he is out of town for a week and didnt know if i should jump on the deal before someone else but from what your saying if the condenser is the right size for the size of the house the evaporater coils are what needs to be matched to the furnace. correct? thanks again

Luke