Abestos siding used as roofing

mridgeelk

During a pre-listing inspection today I found this asbestos siding used as shingles. It is slightly more than half-lapped, cedar shingles used as a starter strip and has been in place for over thirtyfive years. A small amount of leaking is happening and some damage as is seen in the picture. Where could I find installation instructions detailing what can be done with this siding? Anyway they seem to have endured the test of time.

This place was built by a guy who was the local remodeler at the time. It has, salvaged from some of his remodels, an elevator, a dumbwaiter, numerous features from old mobile homes and musical note on the sheetrock (which isn't near the doorbell).

Image Insert:

200861912445_1118%20Third%20St%20045.jpg

109.25 KB

Image Insert:

200861911837_1118%20Third%20St%20017.jpg

134.65 KB

Are you sure it is siding? Back in the 60's there was an asbestos roof tile that was very similar in appearance to the siding. I actually just saw an ad for it in a 1966 Popular Science mag at an antique shop, if I had bought the book I would post it for you. I have no idea what the correct details would be though.

As for all the recycling that was going on, that can either be really cool or a real nightmare. I have seen some really nice reuse of older materials, I've also seen stuff that shouldn't have been used the first time around let alone recycled.

Tom