Anti-tip bracket

Phillip

Originally posted by Phillip

Originally posted by randynavarro

Looks like it'd work to me.

It will work, but you will have to take it loose to move the stove out.

Its not what the manufacture sends with the stove.

The normal bracket probably got tossed in a drawer and lost, so they improvised. With all that space behind the stove (range) I don't see it as a huge problem either. I'd show the client the photo, tell them it's not the listed device, that they would have to unscrew it to move the range, but that it looks like it will do the job. Then I'd leave it up to them to decide if they want to pursue the matter further and move on to bigger fish.

But...Why is there that much space? I'm having a hard time picturing that set-up.

I, too, call out the lack of anti-tip brackets on newer ovens. Didn't Kenmore (Sears) just get into trouble a few months ago (a class action, if I recall) for either not supplying the brackets with Kenmore ovens or their installers weren't installing the brackets.

Question for you all: When did manufacturers start providing anti-tip brackets? Mid-90s?

Do you guys also call it out when they are missing?

Originally posted by msteger

Question for you all: When did manufacturers start providing anti-tip brackets? Mid-90s?

Do you guys also call it out when they are missing?

Around 1992 but I can't point you to a specific document that can verify that.

OT - OF!!!

M.

From a GE site...(my bold)

All GE, Hotpoint and RCA free-standing, slide-in and drop-in ranges manufactured since the Fall of 1988 include an anti-tip device. This bracket is essential to the safe operation of the range. It provides protection when excess force or weight is applied to an open oven door. (The bracket is not needed on hi/low ranges).

The ranges we build meet all current Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety standards for stability. Anti-tip devices became a UL requirement June 3, 1991.

Our installation instructions require that ranges so equipped must be installed with the anti-tip device that is supplied with the range. On ranges manufactured October 1989 and later, GE has also placed a warning label on the edge of the open oven door.

GE furnishes at no charge anti-tip devices with all free-standing, slide-in and drop-in ranges produced. Please call 1-800-626-8774 if you do not have a bracket for your range. We will ship you the bracket for your range at no charge. (GEAC Rep: See specific model installation instructions for installing the bracket. Fax or mail a copy to the consumer for installation assistance.) GE Answer Center does not offer install assistance for anti-tip brackets.)

Originally posted by Phillip

The shot is from the front of the stove I took out the bottom drawer.

At this time I am drawing a blank on what the white wire was.

Could the white cable be the 220V line to the electric stove? If it is, then it is improperly installed.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Originally posted by Richard Moore

From a GE site...(my bold)

All GE, Hotpoint and RCA free-standing, slide-in and drop-in ranges manufactured since the Fall of 1988 include an anti-tip device. This bracket is essential to the safe operation of the range. It provides protection when excess force or weight is applied to an open oven door. (The bracket is not needed on hi/low ranges).

The ranges we build meet all current Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety standards for stability. Anti-tip devices became a UL requirement June 3, 1991.

Our installation instructions require that ranges so equipped must be installed with the anti-tip device that is supplied with the range. On ranges manufactured October 1989 and later, GE has also placed a warning label on the edge of the open oven door.

GE furnishes at no charge anti-tip devices with all free-standing, slide-in and drop-in ranges produced. Please call 1-800-626-8774 if you do not have a bracket for your range. We will ship you the bracket for your range at no charge. (GEAC Rep: See specific model installation instructions for installing the bracket. Fax or mail a copy to the consumer for installation assistance.) GE Answer Center does not offer install assistance for anti-tip brackets.)

Thanks.. I guessed that it was in the early 90s.