Chimney Crown and Belt

Can you help?

I've been told that the there is a minor crack or two in the crown and belt of the chimney by a roofer. He mentioned he would simply use silicone caulk in the cracks - thought it to be no problem.

Is the fix as easy as that? Is there a special type of caulk? Should I also hire someone else to come and look at it?

- MK

Hi MK,

I'm quite near Rochester. I hate silicone on roofs and I'll go so far as to say it's an obsolete product when used on building exteriors. There are dozens of better choices in the urethane family.

Some cracks in crowns are minor and can be sealed, some really aren't as minor as they appear. Roofers seldom fix them correctly.

Vulkem, correctly tooled, works amazingly well.

They've filled cracks in Navy Pier w/the stuff, and it holds up. I've used it successfully on wall coping cracks @ the 42nd parallel, which is just about the ultimate test.

If the crack is >1/16", you should use backer rod.

I agree on the silicone. Any one that would recommend silicone nowadays can't possibly have a clue about doing anything correctly.

Originally posted by kurt

Vulkem, correctly tooled, works amazingly well.

They've filled cracks in Navy Pier w/the stuff, and it holds up. I've used it successfully on wall coping cracks @ the 42nd parallel, which is just about the ultimate test.

If the crack is >1/16", you should use backer rod.

I agree on the silicone. Any one that would recommend silicone nowadays can't possibly have a clue about doing anything correctly.

The one that understands how to fix it.

I apologize for the snide sounding response, but there isn't any particular trade that I'd associate w/this. I can imagine a sweep, a mason, a competent handyman, or just about anyone, IF they understand what they're trying to do.

That's extremely rare nowadays......

Originally posted by Brian G

...what the heck is a belt on a chimney? [?]

Don't you have them down there?

2008627211520_chimbelt.jpg

In masonry, a "belt course" is a horizontal projecting course.

2008627212115_beltcourse.jpg

On older chimneys, it usually refers to a projecting course directly above the flashing. Some use the term for a projecting course commonly found 1 or 2 below the top course.

I've been told that the there is a minor crack or two in the crown and belt of the chimney by a roofer. He mentioned he would simply use silicone caulk in the cracks
If it's originally made with masonry materials, Why squirt goop for a repair?