What would a seasoned inspector have done ?

I attempted to inspect a home which was recently renovated,an inner city victorian built in 1917.First the buyer doesn't want to sign the arbitration clause in my contract but eventually does after I further explained it's purpose. Once inside the basement I find new drywall and paint throughout the place.Then she asks me if I thought that the foundation wall was wet behind the newly finished drywall because a week earlier the drywall,paint and carpeting were not there. She then tells me that when she last saw the house the foundation wall was exposed and it was wet and covered w/mold.I only had a Protimeter pin type meter and was not about to start poking holes in this contractors work.Long story short, she chose to abort the inspection if I couldn't determine the effectiveness of the newly poured concrete as moisture control around the exterior of the home and the possibilty of the basement becoming wet again. What would you have done or said?

Like you, I'd have been mildly suspicious that the client didn't want to sign the contract, even though she eventually did. Then, I'd decline to offer an opinion about the future of a component I couldn't presently see, and finally, I would have stopped when she asked me to and collected my check.

Brilliantly played if you ask me,

I agree with Jim, you did the right things. There's no way to satisfy the expectations of the client in that situation, and trying is risky. It's much smarter to stick to what you know, reasonably believe, or can prove than to go out on limb because they want you to. Forget about it, you did fine.

Brian G.

There's more. While surveying the exterior of this place I noticed several stair type cracks leadind up and vertically away from the lintels above 3 of the windows located in close proximity of this new concrete pour.Then the client says, "It looks like they did a pretty good job at cutting down that tree". Tree? Well it turns out that a severed tree stump was protruding about 3" above this new concrete and pressed against the foundation which by the way is directly opposed to that shiny new drywall and paint that I chose not to probe with my protimeter.Where do you think that those roots might be? There was also an incomplete heavy up without the meters in place and the power company unaware of the work. Also 1 heatpump and 1 a/c unit, neither respond to the thermostats. There were 2,200 amp panels that were missing a total of 8 twist outs, 2 40 gal water htrs with no grounds, exposed wiring and no tpr pipes,and oh mold seeping through the new paint job. When she bailed I was more than happy to take a short check for travel/cancellation, grab the versaladder, tools and get out. Would you guys have given a short summary on what was inspected or cut your losses and move on?

Originally posted by Philip Pugh

When she bailed I was more than happy to take a short check for travel/cancellation, grab the versaladder, tools and get out. Would you guys have given a short summary on what was inspected or cut your losses and move on?

Anytime I have an inspection cut short I still issue a report on what I have inspected. This is for your protection and your customer may need it to get out of the sales contract. In the report the reason for the short inspection and report is stated.