Odd Garage Door Attachment

Okay, I'm being lazy, but I'm trying to wrap one up and I ran across something I haven't seen before. Do manufacturers of garage doors allow you to attach the opener to the door one jump to the right or left of center, or must it be the center brace. This one was attached to a brace, but not the center one.

Brian G.

I Don't Know Why They Didn't Just Knock That Silly Metal Pole Out Instead [:-dev3]

P.S.

If anybody says I have no business looking at garage doors if I don't already know the answer to that question, I'm gonna release the fleas of a thousand camels in your underwear drawer. [:-crazy][;)]

Maybe a little more important to keep the track rollers well lubricated to prevent sticking and racking, but I'd also agree...no big deal as long as it was well balanced and operated smoothly.

PS. Camel flea collecting is an extremely odd hobby for a grown man, but there must be some very grateful camels out there. Keep up the good work, Brian. [:-boggled

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Camel flea collecting is an extremely odd hobby for a grown man, but there must be some very grateful camels out there.

Don't be silly. I buy 'em from China, like everything else in America. They pick the little critters off for a nickel per hour. [;)]

Brian G.

Gives a Whole New Meaning to "Picking & Grinning" [:-slaphap

The offset opener location is ok if the door is balanced with a torsion spring(s) shaft mounted on the header above the door. It might be problematic on an extension spring door(springs mounted above and parallel to the horizontal track), depending on how wide and heavy the door is. If there is no center stile, the door is likely not a common width. Overhead door dealers, not the big box stores, will have a bracket to span the panel so that the opener can be centered.

Here is an odd install for you: I have a customer with a 2 car garage, 2 doors with one opener installed between them and a long piece of angle connecting the doors together at the top. As long as both doors continue to function normally and there are no issues with springs, cables or rollers this arrangement will work. It has been like this for years. I wouldn't recommend this installation, but he gets an A for creativity.

Tom

Originally posted by Bain

I'm 47, Bill.

Brian busted my chops in a different thread for using the word superfluous, so I decided to go a little more colloquial.

I wasn't commenting on your vocabulary. I attempted a bit of junior high school level humor by taking the "getting the thing up" sentence out of context.

Originally posted by Bain

Brian busted my chops in a different thread for using the word superfluous, so I decided to go a little more colloquial.

Also an attempt at humor John, however ineffective. [:I]

What's the matter with you fellas? Hell, I'm 46 and I still got more wood than Weyerhauser. [^] [:-dev3]

Brian G.

Yeah I Know, TMI [:-taped]

Originally posted by Brian G

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Thanks to your good Pfriends at Pfizer....

What the Pfuc* is that supposed to mean?! [:-dev3][:D][:-dev3]

Brian G.

Pfunctional Without Pfizer (so far) [^]

I think what it means, Brian, is that you can't wear something out unless you use it too much.

If the shoe fits...[;)]