Back drafting?

sepefrio

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

With oil fired equipment, the evidence of backdrafting is rarely subtle. Those stains make me think there's no rain cap/ spark arrestor on top of the chimney.

You are correct sir, no rain cap or spark arrestor. Tell me though, how did you make that guess? Teach me old wise one!

Well, I'm not quite Yoda, but we have a lot of oil-fired equipment in MA. The products of combustion from oil burners are dark black and pungent. When it's backdrafting, there's never any question. You just know...

The staining is from rain running down the flue, picking up deposits, and leaking the out onto the outside of the smokepipe. The owners oughta get a rain cap installed on the top of the chimney and forget about it.

Originally posted by Bain

I don't see how people stand those things. They always reek, even when they're purring along perfectly.

Thats not true at all. If there is any smell of any kind it is cause something is wrong, poor installation, defect, neglect/poor maint.

With a blind fold on you could not tell my boiler room from my bathroom.

Mike, where do you see rust???

Thats not true at all. If there is any smell of any kind it is cause something is wrong, poor installation, defect, neglect/poor maint.

With a blind fold on you could not tell my boiler room from my bathroom.

If your bathroom and boiler room smell the same, you need medical attention more than a furnace cleaning. [:-slaphap