Do you think too much?

This is a little riddle, with a real factual answer that a vast majority of people can not answer. The reason being is they just plain, think to much. Lets see how you do. BTW, with your answer, please explain why.

You are standing at the front door of your house.

You walk one mile south.

Then you walk one mile east.

Then you walk one mile north.

You go inside your house, look out the window.

What color is the bear?

You are standing at the front door of your house.

You walk one mile south.

Then you walk one mile east.

Then you walk one mile north.

You go inside your house, look out the window.

What color is the bear?

My house is in Oregon. I wouldn't be back home unless I headed 1 mile West, so how could I see a bear out my window???? Besides, there aren't any bears in town, gees. [^]

Image Insert:

2008721211152_fourmen.jpg

12.14 KB

The graphic above depicts four men, buried up to their necks, about to get shot by a firing squad.

They know they are 3 on one side and 1 on the other. They are also lined up in a straight line and cannot see around or through the wall.

They had their hats put on at night and so they do not know what color of hat they are wearing; but they know there are four men altogether and that two of them are wearing a white hat and two a black one.

In order to for all of them to avoid being shot, just one of them must call out to the executioner the color of THEIR hat. If that one gets it wrong, they will all be shot immediately. They are not allowed to talk to each other, nor is there any other form of communiciation.

They have 5 minutes to figure it out.

After two minutes of silence:

Which one them calls out their hat color?

Why is he certain of the color of his hat?

3 men go into a hotel to check in for a conference and get a room to freshen up in. The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so each man paid $10 and went to the room.

A while later the man behind the desk realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5 leftover. On the way the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly between 3 men, so he gave each man a $1 and kept the other $2 for himself. This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27; add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.

Where is the other dollar?

I'll take a stab at Richard's first puzzler. First of all, this is a very unlikely scenario, but Man C can declare that he is wearing a black hat. He can see that Man B has a white hat. If B and C both had white hats, Man D would have seen that and said he was wearing a black hat. But D kept quiet, so the hats on B and C had to be different.

Blair Pruitt

Home Inspector Seattle

#1 C cause B & D are white. C's got good peripheral visionl (Edit: Blair's answer is better than mine. but you didn't say they couldn't turn around.

#2 Can't add a negative. Each guy pays 9 = 27 minus the 2 the bell man kept minus the 25 the hotel kept = ZERO

It's a tough (and smart) crowd!

"..but you didn't say they couldn't turn around."

Grrrr, my fault. I tried to keep it as short as possible. I thought buried to the necks was enough.

Blair's got them both.

I didn't take long with the first one myself when I first saw it. It if wasn't for the urgency of the situation, then C wouldn't know, but when D remains quiet when he could easily save himself if both hats in front of him were the same, it becomes obvious.

The second one I only found today when I was looking for the firing squad photo. The fuzzy math was just as I found it. My own math isn't exactly horrible, but I'll admit that one had my old gray matter spinning for a while looking for the phantom $1. As Blair and Erby point out, the men did end up paying $9 each for the room, but that $27 included the $2 "tip".

I have driven many crazy with the hotel riddle.

Ok here we go:

You are Indiana Jones

You are in a room.

In this room, there are two computers that "appear" identical.

The only difference between the computers is that one computer will always tell you the truth.

The other computer will always lie to you.

You have no idea which one is which.

Problem:

You wish to exit the room.

There are two doors in which you may exit.

One door represents "freedom"

The other door represents "death"

The computers know which door is which.

You may ask one question of either (not each)

What is the one question you may ask to know which door to proceed through?

Originally posted by StevenT

I have driven many crazy with the hotel riddle.

Ok here we go:

You are Indiana Jones

You are in a room.

In this room, there are two computers that "appear" identical.

The only difference between the computers is that one computer will always tell you the truth.

The other computer will always lie to you.

You have no idea which one is which.

Problem:

You wish to exit the room.

There are two doors in which you may exit.

One door represents "freedom"

The other door represents "death"

The computers know which door is which.

You may ask one question of either (not each)

What is the one question you may ask to know which door to proceed through?

Indy would ask either "what door would the other computer tell me to open"