Owens-Corning Rep

Bain

This is only mildly interesting, but Brandon's post about the Hardie-rep reminded me of a recent encounter with an Owens-Corning rep.

I busted a very-new roof for having overexposed shingles and told the buyer the installation was in violation of the manufacturer's specs and would likely void the warranty. Buyer tells the seller, sellers fusses at the roofer, roofer calls Owens-Corning, Owens-Corning rep calls me asking for photos, and I send them to him.

The rep was wonderful. He was polite, inquisitive, and called me back within a couple of days. He forwarded the photos to his tech folks, who said the shingles were, indeed, installed wrong.

The roofer, unsurprisingly, is now saying the shingles were miscut at the factory and that the problem belongs to Owens-Corning(hereinafter referred to as OC 'cause I'm tired of typing their name) and not to the roofer(who maybe should have noticed that the shingles were screwed up if they truly were). The process, if anyone's interested, is that OC pays to have two shingles removed from the roof in question, sends the things to their technical experts, and then renders an opinion. The OC rep told me the process requires about a four-week turnaround.

The moral, I suppose, if there is one, is that there are still good people and good companies out there who'll do the right thing even if it ticks off a paying customer.

Image Insert:

2008721203938_Owenscorning2.jpg

272.15 KB

Image Insert:

2008721204011_Owenscorning1.jpg

248.53 KB

Thanks Bain,

Those shingles look pretty funny. When the roofer says "miscut" does he really mean "mis-mineraled". They look to me to have not quite enough mineral surface. It's hard to imagine them cut to wrong size, but easier to think of a bad day at the plant when some of the machinery got out of whack and the guys on the line were asleep at the wheel.

Originally posted by Jim Baird

Thanks Bain,

Those shingles look pretty funny. When the roofer says "miscut" does he really mean "mis-mineraled". They look to me to have not quite enough mineral surface. It's hard to imagine them cut to wrong size, but easier to think of a bad day at the plant when some of the machinery got out of whack and the guys on the line were asleep at the wheel.

Miscut? No. Mis-mineraled? No. Try mis-applied. There is too much exposure on the courses where you see the black. That's supposed to be an easy visual reference so you know not to leave it exposed. Look at the center of the 2nd photo (where the leaf is). Note the difference in exposure on the course where the black shows and the one directly above it -- I'd guess there's about an inch difference. Roofers sometimes get lazy or in a hurry with the nailgun. Back in the day, a good roofer would regularly snap a chalk line to keep his courses aligned. Ever see one doing that other than (maybe) on the first course these days?