Allowable wire termination

I found a bare wire in a home a while back. The bare wire was just taped over with electrical tape and placed into a junction box. I do not like this installation, and believe there should be wire nuts installed to cap off the bare wires. Anyone know for sure whether just wrapping the end in electrical tape is allowed? Better yet, will someone point me toward the proper code reference.?

In IRC land:

E3306.10

"...Splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device listed for the purpose."

We're really startin' to miss Jim K., particularly in the electrical forum.

From NEC 2005:

"Article 110.14(B) : . . . All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. . . . ."

I have long heard about, but cannot find, a cite that says that abandoned or unused conductors should be removed rather than just adequately terminated on either end. Is there such a cite in the NEC or other pub??