testing emergency heat

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by energy star

You are not debating fair. At 65,66,67,68,69 &70 a home needs heat. The system is designed and built by the manufacture to supply heat at those temperatures as a heat pump only. When its 90 out you are out of all design temps for heat.

Bill,

I think you're misunderstanding what we're saying. This is a site for home inspectors. For us, it's crucial to know when operating equipment that belongs to someone else is safe or could possibly cause damage to the equipment.

Again, the industry standard is 65 degrees or less for operation on heat mode, so that's what we--at least generally--have to adhere to.

You are not debating fair. At 65,66,67,68,69 &70 a home needs heat. The system is designed and built by the manufacture to supply heat at those temperatures as a heat pump only. When its 90 out you are out of all design temps for heat.

Ok, how about 85? Just pulling your leg.

It is a fair question though. Home inspectors inspect homes when it's 90 outside. What will happen if they run the heat pump in this condition?

Even though the indoor blower may move more air that's not the issue. Even if you sped up the indoor blower that doesn't change things. In fact if you look at fan curves you'll see there is a law of diminishing returns - more RPM actually equals less airflow.

It has to do with coil design.

Anyway the original question was energizing electric strip heat/emergency heat during summer months which is fine to do. It's basically an electric furnace at that point.

Yes the heat pump of course. Do you not see that the manufactures instruction booklet is contradicting itself?

Of course I do. But it doesn't matter. As long as the instructions say what they do, a home inspector is justified in limiting his inspection to adhere to those instructions.

Say its 68 outside and my t-stat is set at 70. My temp in the home slowly drops to 69. The heat pump will automatically come on in the heat pump mode!

I don't disagree with any of that. I think that everyone reading this thread understands that.

So why is a system designed and engineered by the manufacturerid="blue"> to come on and off all day long with no resistance heat at or above the 65 degree mark to satisfy my 70 degree set point in those same instructions?

Don't ask me. Ask the manufacturer.

Yes, the instructions are very conservative. We all get that. Some of us use that knowledge to push past the manufacturer's instructions when testing, others simply follow the instructions.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

I see all your points, and they are valid. I only wanted to help. Being pretty familiar with HVAC systems, I guess I just feel more comfortable with them. I have been thinking about this forum and I do like it. I have also thought about this as a business for me to enter into. After reading over many different threads under many different topics, I realize your position. I will say I'm a bit confused about the depth one must dig into on any one particular issue when inspecting a home. I mean if you really wanted to test the havc system completely, that in itself could take two to three hours. HVAC service techs seldom do that. I do own many test instruments to execute many tests to pin point a problem because I enjoy doing it. I must remember you guys come in at a bit of a different angle. I know you all only want the best for the customer as I do, so we do have that in common. I will admit I'm going to dig a bit deeper into this issue with all manufactures and see if trane, York, Goodman say the same thing. I may or may not post my findings. I came here to learn about test techniques in other ares and instrument reviews.

That said, I can make some simple test procedures for you and members that may give a little better of a heads up on how a system is actually working. As always, I came to learn and help, not to tout my abilities.

• 3 months later...

That said, I can make some simple test procedures for you and members that may give a little better of a heads up on how a system is actually working. As always, I came to learn and help, not to tout my abilities.

Energy Star,

Where are the documents you keep mentioning that you will post for the heat pump testing guidelines that you follow?

Hi Nolan,

You might have a long wait, ES's profile was locked months ago. He does monitor the forum though; so he'll probably visit your website and reply to you through your contact page.

OT - OF!!!

Mike

Mike,

Tnx. Was not aware. I'll do some more digging the TIJ archives and library.

Cheers,

Nolan K.