I had the granite counter top call today!

Scottpat

Yep, just like clockwork! Right after the article in the ever trustworthy New York Times came out talking about granite counter tops being radioactive , the calls have started.

The caller was checking to see if I could test the granite counter tops to see if they had any radiation. I had to stop and think, and then I told him Nope. I don't even know of any protocols for doing such a test, not to mention not having the proper equipment.

So now that this scare is circulating has anyone given any thought as to what we as a profession we might want to do, if anything?

My personal opine is that it is a bunch of bunk.

Try this link...

http://www.marble-institute.com/industr ... on2008.pdf

You can make your own conclusions, but it doesn't seem like even the highest emitting granite countertop is that much of an issue.

"Adapting the 4pCi/L action level as recommended by US EPA as a reference and the house is not in active use, Crema Bourdeaux countertop raises less than 7% of this action level."

Personally, I'm not rushing out to buy a Geiger counter. I have enough gadgets and I still haven't gotten that much use out of my Acme Combo Mold-N-Asbestos Detector!

Most of the time, we just lick the edge. A little tingle and it is ok. Now, if your hair curls then I recommend a dual canister test with shoe covers and hazmat coveralls; placed around 6:30pm on the night of a full moon.

The natural properties of granite will also tenderize cheap cuts of meat if left on the countertop overnight. Cleans raw chicken right up pretty slick!

Scott, Had many call here in the Chicago area. I had two on Friday that were in a Downtown Chicago high rise. Told these people to get a test kit at Lowes if they were concerned.

I have asked other people calling if they have ever tested their home for radon and most have not. Been telling the people we could test their homes for radon to see the true reading for radon in their home. We would test areas as required in Illinois and also place a test in the room/rooms where they have concern with the building products (granite). We do not place our tests on the granite slabs it is at least 3 feet away. This test is only for radon (alphas) . We do not test for any gamma radiation...

I have not seen a protocol to test granite for radon outside a lab.

In September Dr. Mike Kieto of the NY Health Department is presenting his granite slab study findings at the AARST National convention in Las Vegas. This will be interesting.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Yep, just like clockwork! Right after the article in the ever trustworthy New York Times came out talking about granite counter tops being radioactive , the calls have started.

The caller was checking to see if I could test the granite counter tops to see if they had any radiation. I had to stop and think, and then I told him Nope. I don't even know of any protocols for doing such a test, not to mention not having the proper equipment.

So now that this scare is circulating has anyone given any thought as to what we as a profession we might want to do, if anything?

My personal opine is that it is a bunch of bunk.

• 2 weeks later...