What is it

NJinspector

When the client booked the inspection, he had never seen this type of heating system. Said the heating unit was outdoor with the a/c unit. Right away, i think heat pump. This is not a heat pump (i think), what is it? How does it work? Anyone have some info I can pass on to the client?

thanks in advance

Image Insert:

2008725221836_unit1.jpg

64.65 KB

Image Insert:

2008725221853_unit2.jpg

70.95 KB

Image Insert:

2008725221911_unit3.jpg

69.39 KB

Not seen anything like that. So...I assume that ductwork is split into supply and return air. Filter(s) at the interior return grills or is that the reason for the odd "tent" shape? Is that enough exposed ductwork to be concerned about insulation or is it double-walled?

One last question and I promise to shut up...Does that lower section also contain the emergency heat strips?

Hi Richard,

Think combo gas furnace and AC unit mounted on the roof of a commercial building and it's essentially the same thing. I've done about a dozen of those on various commercial buildings and in one case on the roof of a high end condo. They're not much different than an ordinary gas furnace only they're placed outside and they don't require a chimney.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Richard Moore

So...I assume that ductwork is split into supply and return air.

Correct.

Filter(s) at the interior return grills or is that the reason for the odd "tent" shape?

Correct again about the typical filter location, but I have no idea what that tent shape is.

Is that enough exposed ductwork to be concerned about insulation or is it double-walled?

Around here it would just be insulated inside. I'm sure that may vary in other regions.

One last question and I promise to shut up...Does that lower section also contain the emergency heat strips?

I've not seen a two-tiered unit before, but normally there would be no emergency heat strips in a gas unit.

Brian G.

Strip Heat - When the Dancer Is Really Fine [-crzwom][:-dev3]