B vent placement

NJinspector

I didnt measure this but it doesnt look like it fits into the 2/3/10 rule. Just looks wrong to me.

What about the plumbing vent. This section of the home was an addition and i dont think they planned for the plumbing vent very well. Is this too close to the window/ wall?

thanks

Image Insert:

2008725222337_vent1.jpg

48.75 KB

Image Insert:

2008725222353_bvent.jpg

60.19 KB

Jason, here is the code for the vent stack.

IRC P3103.5 Location of Plumbing vent terminal. An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located less than 4 feet (1219 mm) directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least 2 feet (610 mm) above the top of such opening.

The B vent height looks OK, provided it's at least eight feet from the side wall. ( From the Hart & Cooley installation instructions)

The 2/3/10 rule does not apply to B vents.

Hi,

Standard 3-tab in the US are 12" by 36". Enlarge that photo and count the tabs. The roof is a tad over 8ft. long from rake to wall and that B vent is less than 8ft. from that sidewall. The DW vent and the B vent both need to be extended. That's going to look like hell and require a bunch of ugly guy wires about every 3 ft.; they'd be better off to construct a chimney chase and bring the vent up through that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

I doubt it. Yeah, the amount of condensation will increase but I doubt that it's going to freeze. Around here they send B-vents up through uninsulated chases and sometimes there's 30+ft. of B vent in the chase and we don't see them freeze. It'd be different with a Cat IV furnace though, 'cuz the exhaust temperature of those feels like it's barely more than body heat when it leaves the collar.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike