Reference guide

kimball gray

Recently licensed:I was told in class that there was a web-site that you could go to to look up mfg,mod# ser# etc to find out when it was built, btu output etc., I thought it was Carrier Corp Blue Book. I have had no luck. Any good references on the web where you can get info that is not clearly labeled on the dataplate? I was informed in class that it covered all manufacturers in HVAC. Thanks in advance again! This is a great start for someone trying to get started....

Hi Kimball.

Click on Library at the top, and then Popular Files. The first file is a word.doc you can download. It only covers dates though. The BTU rating is often "hidden" in the model number, although it should be on the same label you are getting the other numbers from.

The ultimate book is the Preston Guide. I don't have one personally, but others do here and are usually willing to help with the trickier/unusual ones.

Hey Kimball,

What Rich says is on the money, but to tell you the truth, I sometimes find the different charts and dates a bit confusing and sometimes the codes don't seem to work.

When I'm not sure, I usually call the mfg. and they will pinpoint the date and whatever else I wish to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Something you need to be aware of if you aren't already--Goodman began inserting the SEER into their condenser model numbers recently. The newer models begin with something like 13048 . . .

The thirteen is the SEER, while the 48 is the BTU. Don't mistakenly think the above model # is for a 2 1/2 ton unit. I thought I'd happened upon a bunch of mismatched coils and condensers a few weeks ago, but a call to an HVAC friend set me straight.

• 2 weeks later...