Lack of bond strap

Jerry Simon

For all you *pipe* people...

Is the lack of a bond strap here okay, where the metal pipe is normally bonded to the water supply pipe? Instead of a strap, the ground wire is screwed to the conduit where you would normally attach the bond strap. The ground wire then clamps to the water pipe. Seems okay, but first time I ain't seen a bond strap for bonding the electric pipe to the water pipe. Thanks for any insight.

Image Insert:

200885214444_misc%20015.jpg

2053.52 KB

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

For all you *pipe* people...

Is the lack of a bond strap here okay, where the metal pipe is normally bonded to the water supply pipe? Instead of a strap, the ground wire is screwed to the conduit where you would normally attach the bond strap. The ground wire then clamps to the water pipe. Seems okay, but first time I ain't seen a bond strap for bonding the electric pipe to the water pipe. Thanks for any insight.

I see it done this way frequently. It never occured to me that it would be a problem.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, around this part of PA, it's very rare to see the nat. gas line NOT bonded. It's been required by local municipalities for at least 2 decades. NJ still isn't, even when CSST is installed (the manufacturers require it).

I never see LP lines bonded in either state, even with CSST installed.

Originally posted by msteger

Can't say I've ever even seen a gas line bonded around here.

Sorry.. I forgot we were talking about water pipes now. Around here most areas require a ground wire be connected to the water service pipe for the secondary ground (such as bonding across the water meter). Some, however, don't require it here.