Delco House Wiring Systems DC Current

Erby

I live within 100 feet from the site where Tesla has his lab in Colorado Springs. I thought that was pretty when I found since our family business was electric motor repair for 3 generations and most of our bread & butter was based on stuff he figured out.

He only stayed here for about a year, having lost popularity with the locals after one if his experiments set the town's generator on fire.

[:-party]

Occasionaly we get folks driving around the block, glued to GPSes in cars with out of state tags, looking for the Tesla Lab site.

I tell them theres nothing left of it but theres a zig-zag strip in my yard where I cant get anything to grow and I'll show it to them for a dollar.

So far I havent had any takers, except for one gentleman who offered to trade his tinfoil pyramid hat in exchange. [:-alien]

Hmm,

According to Syfy Channel's Sanctuary drama, Tesla is a power hungy vampire/genious who is still alive. Better stay away from that Zig-Zag strip. [:-propell

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 4 months later...

Hey folks,

I think we are getting confused here. The Delco system was an early battery/generator system for providing lighting in rural areas where city electricity wasn't yet available. There was a bank of batteries which provided lighting for the house and a small gasoline or kerosene powered generator which kicked in to charge the batteries when they got low. The system was introduced about 1916 and remained popular until Rural Electrification came in during the depression. The name Delco is the same company which still makes car batteries, [:-monkeydetc.

Edison's DC power was a plant which provided direct current to a number of households at a time and was not really anything like the Delco system.

Of course when AC proved to be superior in transmitting power for long distances Edison's DC power was dropped.

• 1 year later...

Tesla's coup de gras was wireless transmission of power. It finally did him as it was completely impractical. Were it not for that, I think he would be getting the recognition he deserves.

Not true at all, he proved beyond a doubt that it worked and was beyond practical. J.p. Morgan found out he was trying to give the world free power and blacklisted the project, made it impossible for him to proceed. His downfall was that he didn't patent anything because he felt his inventions were to better mankind and didn't want to make money off them.

Tesla's coup de gras was wireless transmission of power. It finally did him as it was completely impractical. Were it not for that, I think he would be getting the recognition he deserves.

His downfall was that he didn't patent anything because he felt his inventions were to better mankind and didn't want to make money off them.

Tesla had hundreds of patents in multiple countries. Westinghouse paid him hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties. Read Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla : Biography of a Genius (Citadel Press Book)

I think he only paid him the royalties for a while.

I seem to remember hearing on the History Channel program The Men Who Built America, or something like that, where Tesla was making money from royalties but then he signed everything over and didn't take any royalties after that. I can't recall what the reason was. I'm sure a Bing or Google search will reveal the skinny on that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I think he only paid him the royalties for a while.

I seem to remember hearing on the History Channel program The Men Who Built America, or something like that, where Tesla was making money from royalties but then he signed everything over and didn't take any royalties after that. I can't recall what the reason was. I'm sure a Bing or Google search will reveal the skinny on that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Funny, I had just watched that show and it's why I know he had patents. Apparently Westinghouse was starting to go under financially and JP Morgan who controlled Edison's company by then was going to win with DC current. Tesla waived the fees to Westinghouse which allowed them to get sufficient loans to move forward. But up until he waived them to Westinghouse he made good money from them.