Airplanes in basements and other things

Sometimes it's nice to share the curiousities we come across.

From this morning's inspection.

Airplane in the basement

Image Insert:

2008813115639_DSC09057.jpg

69.64 KB

Coal Burning fireplace cover (Check out the tile around it!)

Image Insert:

200881311586_DSC09047.jpg

83.98 KB

And THEN let me add this one!

Image Insert:

200881312515_DSC09063.jpg

71.28 KB

-

Originally posted by Bain

Did the shell feel heavy enough to contain powder?

And Erby, don't try to tell me you weren't curious and didn't pick the thing up.

Actually, although the gun powder can be dangerous, it's just the propellant and the casing should contain it if it were to ignite. Of course it would send the shell down range so don't stand in front of the pointy end. Also you don't need to pick it up to see if it still has propellant. Just tip it over slightly. If it is somewhat balanced, it either has propellant or has been filled with sand (Some do this to prevent them from falling over). If the propellant has been removed, it will be very top heavy.

What you look for is a small drill hole in the shell itself. This is where they pour out the gelatinous explosive mix that is the big boom. The other thing to look for is the type of metal the shell is made of. WWII and Korean era shells were made of pot metal and would rust and pit quite a bit. These older versions are a lot more unstable as moisture can penetrate more easily and destabilize the charge.

In this case that looks like a 3" round that has been drilled. Can't tell the age, but unless it is a 5" it's pre 80's when NATO standardized it's munitions. The only 3" left really start burst (flare) and ceremonial pieces.

Oh and don't worry, a 3" shell can only take out a room or two, nothing big. :)

Image Insert:

2008813165225_shell2.jpg

71.18 KB[:-angel]

Originally posted by sepefrio

Actually, although the gun powder can be dangerous, it's just the propellant and the casing should contain it if it were to ignite. Of course it would send the shell down range so don't stand in front of the pointy end.

Oh and don't worry, a 3" shell can only take out a room or two, nothing big. :)

Don't stand in front of the pointy end? I realize you are joking, but methinks you are conveniently ignoring the fact that in the absence of a solidly anchored hunk 'o metal to reflect the explosive force which also acts on the casing, it will also go blasting off...and with a total force equal to that of the "pointy end."

I wouldn't want to be near either end if it went boom...in my mind, the question would not be how many rooms it can take out. The question is how many people![;)]

If that is a hole that is circled, isn't the bullet seated deeper than that? It seems like they would have drilled in a different area so the powder would drain, but I could be wrong.

Anyone ever thrown live rifle rounds into a fire--- doesn't do much-- just sounds like a firecracker and throws some embers. Of course, with a round that large who knows.

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

If that is a hole that is circled, isn't the bullet seated deeper than that? It seems like they would have drilled in a different area so the powder would drain, but I could be wrong.

Anyone ever thrown live rifle rounds into a fire--- doesn't do much-- just sounds like a firecracker and throws some embers. Of course, with a round that large who knows.

When I was a kid, I used to take rounds apart to get at the powder inside. My method was to lay the cartridge on its side on a slab of concrete then whack it with a hammer. Once, the powder ignited as I struck and the bullet drove itself through my pants and into my thigh, lodging itself just below the skin. After I finished taking apart the rest of the cartridges, I had to use a pair of tweezers to dig the bullet out of my thigh. I think it was a freak occurance because it never happened again.

The hole in the picture might have been to drain out the contents of the bullet itself if that were an incendiary or a tracer round, no?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The hole in the picture might have been to drain out the contents of the bullet itself if that were an incendiary or a tracer round, no?

Ahh, good call. I only deal in hunting rounds, never thought of the others for military use.

When I was a kid, I used to take rounds apart to get at the powder inside. My method was to lay the cartridge on its side on a slab of concrete then whack it with a hammer. Once, the powder ignited as I struck and the bullet drove itself through my pants and into my thigh, lodging itself just below the skin. After I finished taking apart the rest of the cartridges, I had to use a pair of tweezers to dig the bullet out of my thigh. I think it was a freak occurance because it never happened again.

Maybe I had better quit throwing rounds into the fire, I 'm getting too old for that stuff anyway's

Man, that must have hurt pretty bad seeing as how you had to finih pulling powder before pulling a bullet out[;)]

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

I only deal in hunting rounds, never thought of the others for military use.

What? You never used incendiary rounds to hunt rabbit? Doesn't everyone?

Maybe I had better quit throwing rounds into the fire, I 'm getting too old for that stuff anyway's

It's all fun & games till someone loses an eye.

Man, that must have hurt pretty bad seeing as how you had to finih pulling powder before pulling a bullet out[;)]

It was less painful that I'd have imagined. Like a poke with a sharp stick.

Pain & I got to know each other pretty well in those days. My brother, however, was the real pain pincushion. He's got way more scars than I'll ever have.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The Mythbusters tested whether bullets thrown in an open fire could explode with lethal force. Their conclusion was this myth was busted (for lethality), however, the flying projectile and casing could cause injury. As Jim pointed out, the eye is a vulnerable spot.

Originally posted by Erby

I was VERY curious, however a truly smart man learns from other people's experience.

I didn't even touch the thing.

Actually thats the best thing you could have done.

If your not comfortable walking a roof, don't get on it or you will fall.

If you not comfortable handling ordinance, don't touch it.

Mike, actually I think you may be right. I didn't take into account the size of the casing. It's rather large size compared to the size of the projectile shows that it is designed for maximum muzzle velocity and direct line shots, not lobbing. Thus it is most likely an anti-tank round.

Jim, yes, you don't drill out the propellant charge. You must separate the projectile from the casing to do that (or at least do it right). It's not a tracer round. A tracer is basically a painted projectile. It would be on the exterior of the projectile. As for incendiary rounds, I highly doubt it. From my guess on the age, the technology for incendiary rounds was not advanced enough to fit a proper charge in that small of a round. Incendiary rounds are mostly intended to explode near a target (lobbed) and set it on fire not to impact the target (Direct line shot). Not saying that 100% sure it isn't, but the odds are very slim.

Oh, it's not that I'm not comfortable handling ordinance. I've handled quite a lot of them as a police officer.[:-slaphap[:-slaphap[:-slaphap

During my military time, I also handled a bit of orndance now and then, including those that fall off of airplanes.

An unknown condition round in the basement of a 104 year old house. Nah, not me.